On 23 Sep 2009, at 16:36, m.a. wrote:

> Would anyone care to provide a gloss to all the capital letter codes
> being used in this thread?  (e.g.  CTM, PM, UD etc.)

CTM = computational theory of mind

Comp = "computationalism" = a weak and preciser version of CTM (mainly
"yes doctor" + Church's thesis (also referred as Church-Turing thesis,
Post law, Gödel's miracle, etc..). It is Church thesis which makes
possible to get a precise mathematical definition of the ideas of
computability, computation and "all" computations.

CT is used for Church thesis (btw). CT requires the belief that if a
natural number has some verifiable property then we can find it soon
or later, (a version of arithmetical realism).

PM = Primary Matter (in Aristotle sense? or in Peter Jones, alias 1Z,
alias Flammarion sense?).

UD is the Universal Dovetailer. It is a program (and a program belongs
to the collection of  finite objects that you can identify by a number
by using some computable bijection) which generates all programs, in
all possible programming languages, and generates, little pieces by
little pieces, all executions of those programs, with all possible
arguments, in all possible environment, some being initial segments of
the real, or of the complex, or octonions, etc.).
The mandelbrot set can be seen as a nice approximation (at least) of a
compact form of a universal dovetailing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmt3_5AJvQg&feature=channel_page

UDA = Universal Dovetailer Argument (in 8 steps to fix the things,
from the Sane04 paper) including MGA as step 8.

MGA = the movie graph argument. MGA is UDA-8, and is independent of
UDA1-7, and is a direct argument for showing that comp makes primitive
matter 'spurious', or physicalism 'wrong' (to be short). Comp forces
the couple consciousness/realities to emerge from elementary arithmetic.

IMO, David correctly (re)defines Peter Jones theory, at least the one
he is defending the plausibility here, as CTM+PM.
I argue that CTM+PM is epistemologically extravaguant.
IMO, Peter Jones, non correctly, (re)define comp as CTM + Platonism.
When reasoning on computations, or just when defining them,  we have
to accept a minimal amount of realism on the properties of numbers
(much less so that most scientists, arguably a little more than some
philosophers). Such a mimimal "Platonism" is already in Church thesis,
and I prefer to name it by "arithmetical realism". I think that only
ultrafinitist does not believe in it.

IMO = in my opinion.

AFAICS is    as far as I can see ...  I think :)

I don't see other acronyms. Usually, when I introduce a new acronym, I
redefine it, at each first occurrences in the first posts. But it is a
good idea to ask, especially for those which are idiosyncratic with
respect to a thread.

Bruno