On Feb 16, 8:46 am, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> >> I meant "in general".
>
> > I don't need anything more than
> > 1) I am real
> > 2) Unreal things don't generate real things
>
> > I think both of those are hard to dispute.
>
> But nobody believes that numbers are unreal.

I do. Hartry Field does. Etc.

> They believe that numbers
> are not material but that is different.
> You beg the question by identifying real with material, and by
> assuming a primitive materiality.

You beg the question by assuming Platonism

>This is obstructive of thought,
> only. Your critics of science reminds me on the critics on Einstein's
> relativity by Bergson. I do appreciate Bergson, but his dialog with
> Einstein was a dialog of deaf. A bit like Goethe critics of Newton.
> Pseudo-philosophy, like pseudo-religion, are authoritative argument in
> disguise.

> >> I use bivalence but also "yes doctor".
>
> > But YD doesn't get anywhere if I am only agreeing
> > to a physical substitution
>
> The whole point of the UDA+MGA is to show that YD (defined by a
> physical substitution) does lead to the abandon of the physical as
> primary.

The physical cant be abandoned unless there is something to
take its place. Hence you need Platonism

> So you are just confirming that you are using the notion of
> primary matter as a reason for not studying an argument. You should
> better search an error in it.
>

> >> Then after concluding, we can
> >> take as theory of everything just elementary arithmetic, and it is
> >> explained in all detail how to recover formally physics (among other
> >> things) from that.

> >> Actual is an indexical, and can be relative to numbers'
> >> configurations.
>
> > If a multiverse is not actual, no-one within it can make
> > and indexical judgement of actuality.
>
> Sure. But that's begging the question again and again.

The converse is also question begging.

> >> Why?
>
> > Not enough WR's.
>
> Intuitively you are right, but you have to take into account computer
> science which shows that intuition here is of no use. It might be
> possible that in fine mechanism leads to too much White Rabbits, but
> that has not been proved yet. Again, that would not change the
> reasoning, just the conclusion.

WRs follow from any straightforward approach to measure.
The burden is on the multiversalists to avoid the objection.

> >> Some does not. John A. Wheeler is open to the idea that physics
> >> emerge
> >> from something non physical (cf It from Bit).
>
> > And everyone else doesn't.
>
> New paradigm takes time to be swallowed.

That is quite a climb-down from your original claim
that no physicist believes in matter.

> >> Anyway, to refer to a what people think is not an argument.
>
> > Then why is it refer to books?
>
> Because (good) books contain (good) arguments.

Oh, right, If  a physics text mentions matter, it is a Bad Book.

> >> The point is that the notion of computer used in the proof is the
> >> traditional mathematical notion.
>
> > There is  no mathematical notion such that you can run a  programme on
> > it.
>
> (Sigma_1) arithmetical reality do run all programs, in the
> mathematical (non material, but real)

ie Platonic!

> sense. To make primitive matter
> to instantiate consciousness, you will have to make consciousness and
> matter non Turing emulable,

I do not, as I have explained many times

> and this is in a very special way. With
> mechanism, neither consciousness nor matter are globally emulable.
> Consciousness and matter is related to infinities of computations, and
> they are observable once we look below our substitution level.

> >> Klein on Maudlin?
>
> > No: "not dependent on a particular body" does not mean "capable of
> > existing with no body"
>
> You still beg the question. The UDA+MGA shows that "not dependent on a
> particular body" entails that your consciousness needs a relative body
> only for manifesting itself with some reasonable relative
> probabilities, and that eventually a body is made of the interference
> of infinities of bodies emulations. I am not saying that this is true,
> but that it follows from the mechanist assumption.

Not from comp alone. You cannot eliminate matter without having
somethin
to replace it with