On 17 Feb 2011, at 04:39, Jason Resch wrote:

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 8:47 PM, m.a. <marty...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
Given modern physics and cosmology, does Nietzsche's idea of "eternal return" have any validity? m.a.

--

In a few ways I think it could be argued that it does. One is the oscillatory universe idea, which will happen if the mass of the universe is below a certain threshold or if the expansion rate is not constant and will decrease. Currently it seems to be accelerating, however. It is theorized (I think by Loop Quantum Gravity or string theory) that at a point when all the matter in the universe comes to a single point (or close to that) gravity will momentarily reverse and cause a new expansion. According to the holographic principle, there is a finite number of ways the matter in a finite volume of space can be arranged, so eventually the pattern will repeat.

Also, by eternal inflation you could say there are an infinite number of big-bangs, and again some of them would be duplicates of the observable universe.

Lastly, you might argue that relativity's proposal of a 4- dimensional space-time means we are always in every moment, which perhaps has similar implications to the idea of living every moment of one's life an infinite number of times.

And in UD-time (defined by the computing steps of the UD) eternal return is guarantied. Nothing is more repeating and innovating than the super-redundant UD* (which makes hope for the elimination of the WR, by inflation of normal "worlds"). people can look at the Mandelbrot set, also.

Of course, this is not "given modern physics". It is "given digital mechanism".