Dear Colin,

I just LOVE your crystal ball. Call it "phlogiston" or whatever.
Your article
http://www.theconversation.edu.au/the-modern-phlogiston-why-thinking-machines-dont-need-computers-7881

is a beauty and I enjoyed your exchange with Ben Goertzel. My questions,
however, remained untouched from my earlier *agnostic* remarks:

"Who told you that whatever *"brain"* does is *physically * (and I mean the
quantitative figment-science we learn at school)  described as of
yesterday? That it is * A L L*  that
counts?
Your choice of name sounds a bit correct: Becher in 1667 thought everything
is known to deduce his phlogiston and the AI thinks everything is known to
'model' thinking. Not too much of an advancement in "leading" sciences.
It is more than likely that "WE" (whoever that may be) use something we
identify with our "brain" as a practical tool for thinking, but we have no
justification how much more is to it to make it work than what we already
know (in our so far achieved mini-solipsism).

I do not argue against using computers to mimic thinking I just question if
the process is sufficiently *known* to make a workable computer-model
(especially using up the ZERO $ funds available and using our present
embryonic- binary - digital computer models).

If all fits, it still may be an anthropocentric/morphic logic to imitate,
while nature is not restricted to such. But this point goes too far maybe.

Agnostically yours

John Mikes Ph.D., D.Sc. ret. polymer scientist