Even to believe that what we see exist in a objective, external
reality is an act of faith. To believe, and to believe  only in the
authority of what is called "science" at a certain time in history is
another act of faith in the authority of someone  that administer some
truth ( concrete scientist that administer what is called science)
unless it perform experiments for himslef.

 Given the fact that science has  discarded as incomplete  almost all
that was believed by the positivist of a century ago, I think that the
positivist are in a very weak ground. If the positivist, as is often
the case, reject anything not sanctioned (at that time) by science
then not only it is weak but quite fanatic.