On Thu, Dec 6, 2012  Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>>> Doing the experience yourself

> >One of them with P = 1/2.

That neatly sums up the entire problem, the insistence that there is only
one correct answer to the question "what city will you see?" even though
you have been duplicated; and the probability figure is worse than useless.
AFTER a good experiment has been performed nothing has a probability of
1/2, everything has a probability of 1 or 0.  After the experiment both
will claim to be "yourself" and a third party would agree with both of them
because a third party could not find any reason to accept one claim and
reject the other. And I have NOT forgotten that each will see one city and
one city only, and I have not forgotten that Bruno Marchal's question
"which one will see Moscow?" is a silly question. Seeing Moscow is the one
and only thing that turns the Helsinki man into the man who sees Moscow, so
the man who sees Moscow will be the Moscow man and the Moscow man will be
the man that sees Moscow. That is not deep, tautologies seldom are, but
you've built your philosophy on top of it.

> >> I can think of examples where you and another are identical in the 3p
> and the 1p, and examples where you and another are identical in the 1p but
> not the 3 p, but I can't think of a example where you and another are
> identical in the 3p but not the 1p. Can you?
>
> > Yes, with "identical" in the sense that I am identical with me in the
> morning.

In other words in no sense whatsoever, you are different from what you were
this morning in the 3p view and thus obviously in the 1-p view. You
remember being Bruno Marchal this morning even though you're different, and
Moscow is different from what it was this morning too but it's convenient
to use the same word for both. People change over time and the meaning of
the pronoun associated with that changing person will change over time too,
and the meaning of the pronoun will change even more suddenly if a
duplicating chamber is used.

> > You forget that a unique person can be in many different states.

And I hope I never remember it because that is nonsense, if there are
different versions of something then it's not unique.

> he is certain of one thing, he will not push the button, search his
> (unique) diary, open the door, and write "I see both W and M".

He is certain of one thing, he will not push the button, search his
(unique) diary, open the door, and write "I see W or M".

>>> But the H-man could not have predicted before (in Helsinki) which city
>>> each of them is seeing right now

>> man to pick out, there is only one person.
>>

> >A person trying to evaluate the result of an experiment.

I don't understand what you're trying to say because that is not a complete
sentence. What about a person trying to evaluate the result of an
experiment?

> >> The Helsinki man can say the one that sees Moscow will be the Moscow
> man
>
> > That does not help.

It does not help what? I admit it doesn't help picking the man who will see
Moscow because in Helsinki there is nothing to pick from due to the fact
that the man who sees Moscow won't exist until there is a man who sees
Moscow, so I can't pick the man who sees Moscow in Helsinki. Not deep but
true.

>> If Heisenberg's Uncertainty principle did not exist then the world would
> be different, I could measure both the position and velocity of a particle
> with infinite accuracy, and that's how I know it's talking about something
> real. Suppose, just suppose that this "1-P indeterminacy" stuff of yours
> did not exist, how would the world be different?
>
> >Computationalism would be false.

So if indeterminacy of the 1-P sort did not exist then computationalism, a
purely deterministic process, could not exist. That does not compute.

> hard to say how this can look.

Hard indeed, and you've hit the nail exactly on the head. It doesn't matter
if "1-P indeterminacy" exists or not because with or without it even AFTER
the experiment (forget about using it to make predictions) things would
look exactly the same. With or without it there would still be 2 people
insisting that they were "yourself" and a third party could still find no
reason to think that one claim was stronger than the other. And so 1-P
indeterminacy joins luminiferous aether as something that doesn't exist or
makes no difference if it does.

>> Without "1-P indeterminacy" how would the Helsinki man respond to the
> question "what city will you see?"
>

> You tell me. You are the one assuming that such a thing is possible.

I'm not assuming anything, I'm showing that it makes no difference if "1-P
indeterminacy" exists or not, so busy men should do other things with their
time than obsess over it.

> So without 1-p indeterminacy, please tell me how you predict, and how you
> confirm. More exactly how this is confirmed from the first person points of
> view.

I will tell you as soon as you explain how WITH 1-p indeterminacy how you
predict, and how you confirm. More exactly how this is confirmed from the
first person points of view.

> You are the one making sense of some 1p determinacy,

No, I am the one making nonsense of 1p determinacy and 1p indeterminacy.

> you continue to avoid the task of putting yourself at the places of the
> copies to listen to the confirmation or disconfirmation.

I refuse to put myself into one of the copies but not the other because I
can find no logical reason to do so, their confirmations or
dis-confirmations are always equally strong, or equally weak as the case
might be.

 >> Yes, remind me again what we're arguing about.
>

> > That the H-man, who knows that he will remain the H-man

No argument, I agree with that.

> yet differentiated into two mutually different M-H-man and W-H-man.

 No argument, I agree with that.

 > the H-man knows he will survive no matter what (by comp),

No argument, I agree with that.

> > and that he will feel one and unique,

No argument, I agree with that.

> > he is unsure if it will be W, or M, but he is sure he will not feel both.

And now trouble is encountered and John Clark has become increasingly
convinced that the entire source of the trouble is due to pronouns. Even in
a world without duplicating chambers pronouns can sometimes cause a little
trouble because the meaning of pronouns do not remain constant, for example
"at breakfast I decided to turn left but when I actually got to the
intersection at lunchtime I decided to turn right" so what one and only one
thing did "I" decide to do, did "I" decide to turn left or right?

Most of us would say that is a silly question because we're accustomed to
the concept of time and the fact that "I" can change over time. John Clark
is convinced that the question "what city will "you" see?" is just as silly
and the only reason it is not as obviously silly is that we're not
accustomed to duplicating chambers. Pronouns suck if not used carefully.

> I am the same person as me in the morning, but with different 3p.

And with a different 1p too, a consciousness that does not constantly
change its perspective is not conscious.

  John K Clark