On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:33 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 1/10/2013 4:23 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>
>  Do you think there can be something that is intelligent but not complex
>> (and use whatever definitions of "intelligent" and "complex" you want).
>>

>  A thermostat is much less complex than a human brain but intelligent
> under my definition.
>

> But much less intelligent.

That's your conclusion, not mine. According to my definition you can only
compare thermostats being good at being thermostats and Brents being good
at being Brents. Because you can only compare intelligence against a same
set of goals. Otherwise you're just saying that intelligence A is more
complex than intelligence B. Human intelligence requires a certain level of
complexity, bacteria intelligence another. That's all.

General Artificial Intelligence is not general at all - what we really want
it is for it to be specifically good at interacting with humans and
pursuing human goals (ours, no the AI's - otherwise people will say it's
dumb).

> So in effect you think there is a degree of intelligence in everything,
> just like you believe there's a degree of consciousness in everything.

I said I'm more inclined to believe in a degree of consciousness in
everything than in intelligence emerging from complexity.

> And the degree of intelligence correlates with the degree of complexity

Again, your conclusion, not mine.