On 12 Jan 2013, at 11:53, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi meekerdb

Complexity need not have anything to do with intelligence.
The critical requirement is autonomy of choice.

But that autonomy itself requires a minimal amount of complexity. Then the math shows that it is not a lot. universality is cheap.
Intelligence requires the same very minimal, but not null, complexity.

Bruno

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
1/12/2013
From: meekerdb
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-11, 14:20:13
Subject: Re: Subjective states can be somehow extracted from brains viaacomputer

On 1/11/2013 2:12 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:33 AM, meekerdb  wrote:

On 1/10/2013 4:23 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
Do you think there can be something that is intelligent but not complex (and use whatever definitions of "intelligent" and "complex" you want).

A thermostat is much less complex than a human brain but intelligent under my definition.

But much less intelligent.

That's your conclusion, not mine. According to my definition you can only compare thermostats being good at being thermostats and Brents being good at being Brents. Because you can only compare intelligence against a same set of goals. Otherwise you're just saying that intelligence A is more complex than intelligence B. Human intelligence requires a certain level of complexity, bacteria intelligence another. That's all.

So you've removed all meaning from intelligence. Rocks are smart at being rocks, we just have to recognize their goal is be rocks.

Maybe we can stop dancing around the question by referring to human- level-intelligence and then rephrasing the question as, "Do you think human-like-intelligence requires human-like-complexity?"