On 1/11/2013 2:12 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:33 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 1/10/2013 4:23 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

        Do you think there can be something that is intelligent but not complex
(and
        use whatever definitions of "intelligent" and "complex" you want).

    A thermostat is much less complex than a human brain but intelligent under
my
    definition.

    But much less intelligent.

That's your conclusion, not mine. According to my definition you can only compare thermostats being good at being thermostats and Brents being good at being Brents. Because you can only compare intelligence against a same set of goals. Otherwise you're just saying that intelligence A is more complex than intelligence B. Human intelligence requires a certain level of complexity, bacteria intelligence another. That's all.

So you've removed all meaning from intelligence. Rocks are smart at being rocks, we just have to recognize their goal is be rocks.

Maybe we can stop dancing around the question by referring to human-level-intelligence and then rephrasing the question as, "Do you think human-like-intelligence requires human-like-complexity?"