From: meekerdb
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-11, 14:20:13
Subject: Re: Subjective states can be somehow extracted from brains
viaacomputer

On 1/11/2013 2:12 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:33 AM, meekerdb  wrote:

On 1/10/2013 4:23 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
Do you think there can be something that is intelligent but not complex (and
use whatever definitions of "intelligent" and "complex" you want).

A thermostat is much less complex than a human brain but intelligent under my
definition.

But much less intelligent.

That's your conclusion, not mine. According to my definition you can only
compare thermostats being good at being thermostats and Brents being good at
being Brents. Because you can only compare intelligence against a same set of
goals. Otherwise you're just saying that intelligence A is more complex than
intelligence B. Human intelligence requires a certain level of complexity,
bacteria intelligence another. That's all.

So you've removed all meaning from intelligence.  Rocks are smart at being
rocks, we just have to recognize their goal is be rocks.

Maybe we can stop dancing around the question by referring to
human-level-intelligence and then rephrasing the question as, "Do you think
human-like-intelligence requires human-like-complexity?"