On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 03:24:09PM -0700, meekerdb wrote:
> On 5/13/2013 2:49 PM, Stephen Paul King wrote:
> >Does the UD compute *all* functions or only those that are
> >recursively enumerable?
>
> It computes all of them.
>
> Brent

Sorry - it does not compute all functions, just all partially
recursive ones. As Stephen says, there are only countably many
recursive functions, but a continuum of functions from N->N.

As for Stephen's question of why we might want to single out that set
- it so happens that that set is closed under diagonalisation - which
is Goedel's "miracle".

Its an aesthetic thing - just like Einstein's theory of general
relativity is the simplest, and most elegant, formulation of geometric
spacetime theories of gravitation.

It doesn't mean its right, of course, but elegant theories have a
habit of  being more likely right than inelegant ones.

PS - I am unsure whether the set of partially recursive functions is
the only such set closed under diagonalisation - do you know Bruno?

Cheers