On 02 Oct 2013, at 11:04, Russell Standish wrote:

On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 10:09:03AM -0700, meekerdb wrote:
On 10/1/2013 4:13 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Note also that the expression "computation have qualia" can be
misleading. A computation has no qualia, strictly speaking. Only a
person supported by an infinity of computation can be said to have
qualia, or to live qualia.

Why an infinity of computation??  That would preclude my building an
intelligent robot having qualia, since it's computations would
always be finite.  And I doubt there is room in my head for infinite
computations - certainly not digital ones.

He is alluding to the universal dovetailer here, which contains an
infinite number of distinct computations that implement any given
conscious state.

OK.

Strictly speaking the UD is the program, which is finite. But its running (UD*) is infinite, and it runs all computations, those who stop and those who does not stop.

However, it is not clear that it is necessary for it to be infinite -
in a nonrebust world that doesn't contain a UD,

Cannot run integrally the UD, OK.

we still consider the
possbility of conscious computations in the MGA.

Yes, but without (the interesting leasure problem), and we lost the ability to expalin where matter come from, indeed that move reintroduce the primary matter, which then appear as a "matter of the gap". I think.

Best,

Bruno

Cheers

Principal, High Performance Coders