Good question which I've given a lot of thought to and which is still not
completely clear in my mind...

The processors are not separate physical entities processing the data and
they are not separated from the data (the information). So far as I can see
all actual information has to include both applicable code and data in a
single evolving information structure. That seems to me the only way the
processor, code and data states can always be together where the
computations actually occur. They probably occur only at the most elemental
level so there have to be googles of these elemental computations taking
place in every processor cycle.

So the actual picture is more like computationally evolving information
rather than the PC model of code strings passing through silicon processors
sequentially accessing data as needed. All the information that makes up
the universe has to include its own applicable (and likely pretty simple)
rules of evolution as it interacts with other information.

Since all information exists only in the present moment processor cycle
there cannot be any information code sequences that are waiting to be
processed (as there are in silicon code). Because they would correspond to
a pre-determined future. Everything has to be re-computed in the current
p-time cycle. Anything that is not re-computed is left behind in the past
and thus ceases to exist.

Thus it is not information data states waiting to be computed by strings of
pre-existing code sequences. That doesn't work because when multiple code
sequences predicting a local future interact there would inevitably be
inconsistencies and the computations would fall apart. Not sure if this is
clear or not.

Thus everything that exists is in a continual state of re-computation in
every processor cycle. What exists is the active evolution of all
information, not sequential static data states one after the other.

On Monday, January 13, 2014 7:54:26 PM UTC-5, Liz R wrote:
> On 14 January 2014 13:40, Edgar L. Owen < <javascript:>>wrote:
>> Stephen,
>> If everything is information being computed then obviously all observers
>> are also part of that and thus analogous to running programs interacting
>> computationally with the other running programs of reality. I guess I
>> hadn't made that clear yet...
> That's OK, Bruno has said something very similar, so we're familiar with
> the concept.
>> Everything is analogous to a running program. Reality can be thought of
>> as a single universal running program that can be analyzed into individual
>> running programs. The distinction is that biological programs construct
>> internal models of their program environments to improve their functioning.
>> Non-biological programs just interact according to their natures with no
>> such internal simulation data models of their environments...
>> What I can't understand here is how the programmes get distributed across
> the googols of processors, which you've assured us *aren't* akin to a
> game of life (so they *aren't* autonomously running some simple programme
> that only interacts with their immediate neighbours).
> How is all this arranged?

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit