On 1/17/2014 8:28 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 1/17/2014 5:40 PM, LizR wrote:

        But apparently the brain has a lot to do with those computations in
Platonia,
        c.f. anesthetic.  Notice that I'm not a disciple of Platonia.

    Me neither, I am agnostic - but within comp it is assumed, so while
discussing comp
    we have to assume it (unless we're rejecting comp on that basis). But I can
see
    that Platonia makes sense in that 17 does seem to be prime idependently of
you and
    me and everyone else, which is (I'm told) enough for the whole shebang to
come into
    some sort of existence.

    I don't think you have to buy the equivalence between (17 is prime) is true
and (17
    is prime) exists.

No, but all statements about programs can be translated into truth statements about the natural numbers. So you could say "Program X is conscious of the information Y" is a true statement, and that truth implies that the conscious thought of X exists. (Just as the primeness of 17 implies two factors of 17 exist).

But where does it exist? X has to be conscious of a location, a physics, etc. If all this is the same as where I exist, then it is just a translation of this world into arithmetic. It's the flip side of "A perfect description of X is the same as X", i.e. "X is the perfect description of X". If every perfect description is realized somewhere in arithmetic (and I think it probably is) nothing is gained by saying we may be in arithmetic.