On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 10:12:18PM -0500, Stephen Paul King wrote:
> Dear Russell,
>
>   I don't see the connection. How is self-modeling involved in "the space
> where the
> system integrates the outputs of its various subsystems
> "?

Perhaps its just this: the structure of neural connections in the
brain supports the global workspace idea. Most axons are local, but a
small percent run right across the brain. Also fMRI studies show
certain parts of the brain lighting up when the subject is consciously
aware of some stimulus, but not when not conscious of it (but the
primary sensory processing area lights up in both cases).

In the same way as this data supports the global workspace, whether a
brain performs self-awareness or not should also leave its mark on
the network structure, and on brain behaviour visible through fMRI.

>   There is a robotics project that does include very rudimentary
> self-modeling in their programing.
> http://creativemachines.cornell.edu/emergent_self_models

Yes - that's Hod Lipson's work - its definitely a step in the right direction.

> Does
> Global Workspace Theory
>  or
> Tononi's
>
> integrated information
>  ideas map onto such?
>
>   I have not had much time to dive into consciousness theories lately,
> other than a few questions regarding languages of AGI... I like what
> Ben Goertzel has to say on the subject...

I'm just suprised that you would say that definitively that
zombiehood entails (by definition, you said) a lack of self-awareness,
or self-modelling in the system.

My understanding of the p-zombie idea is that it is physically
impossible to distinguish between a p-zombie and a conscious
being. But it will be clear if a self-awareness module is present,
particularly if it's a robot like Hod's starfish. Taken togther with
you comment, would entail that p-zombies cannot possible exist, but
I'm sceptical things are quite that simple...

Cheers