On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 2:30 AM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

​> ​
> I'm the one person I was a moment ago because I have all the memories of
> that person

​Yes.​

> ​> ​
> If duplicating machines are ever invented

​It's only a matter of time. I'd be amazed if it took less than 10 years
and equally amazed if it took more than 100.​

> ​> ​
> then we can choose some rough and ready legal definitions.

​Sure, but if history has taught us anything it's that what the law says
and what is true are two entirely different things.​

> ​> ​
> But all this discussion of theories of personal identity seems more about
> semantics and pronouns.

​Getting the semantics and pronouns right is the first step, after that the
personal identity theory could still be wrong but at least it's a theory
and not gibberish. Ptolemy's theory that the Earth was at the center of a
nested set of crystalline spheres with the stars and planets painted on
them was not gibberish, it made perfect sense, it was just wrong. But some
things are so bad they're not even wrong.

 John K Clark