On Saturday, February 2, 2019 at 12:48:00 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

> On 2/1/2019 10:58 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:
>

> On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 1:54:15 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:
>>

>> On 2/1/2019 5:52 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:
>>
>> In any case, one of the "micropsychists"  has a new paper just out:
>>

>> "According to the *fusion* view ... when micro- or protoconscious
>> entities come together in the right way, they fuse or 'blend' together to
>> form a single unified consciousness. ..."
>>
>> *Is Consciousness Intrinsic? A Problem for the Integrated Information
>> Theory*
>> Hedda Hassel Mørch
>> Journal of Consciousness Studies 26 (1-2):133-162(30) (2019)
>>
>> https://philpapers.org/rec/MRCICI
>> https://philpapers.org/archive/MRCICI.pdf
>>
>> *Abstract*
>> The Integrated Information Theory of consciousness (IIT) claims that
>> consciousness is identical to maximal integrated information, or maximal Φ.
>> One objection to IIT is based on what may be called the intrinsicality
>> problem: consciousness is an intrinsic property, but maximal Φ is an
>> extrinsic property; therefore, they cannot be identical.
>>

>> A more cogent objection is that it attributes lots of consciousness to a
>> Vandermonde matrix:
>>
>> https://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=1799
>>
>> Brent
>>

> Scott Aaronson wrote this about 5 years ago. I haven't looked if he has
> has anything new.
>
> Regarding informationism vs. panpsychism, he only addresses the former.
>
> *I’ve just conjured into my imagination beings whose Φ-values are a
> thousand, nay a trillion times larger than humans’, yet who are also
> philosophical zombies: entities that there’s nothing that it’s like to be.*
>

> That of course panpsychists agree with.
>
> He procedes:
>
> *Let S=F_p, where p is some prime sufficiently larger than n, and let V be
> an n×n Vandermonde matrix over F_p—that is, a matrix whose (i,j) entry
> equals i^(j-1) (mod p).  Then let f:S^n→S^n be the update function defined
> by f(x)=Vx. *
>
> Concludes: *the fact that Integrated Information Theory is
> wrong—demonstrably wrong, for reasons that go to its core—puts it in
> something like the top 2% of all mathematical theories of consciousness
> ever proposed.*
>

> Now here is where panpsychists diverge from this way of thinking:
> Everything Scott wrote above involves ultimately computing with numerical
> entities as the "atoms" (so to speak) of what the "computer" is computing
> with. What the panpsychists are saying is that it is not numerical entities
> (numericals: Ns) at all that are at the base of the computing, but
> experiential entities (experientials: Es). *Es are as basic
> (ontologically) as Ns*.
>
> *Defining what Es are* is the fundamental problem for panpsychists (vs.
> numerists, or informationists).
>

> Yes, Scott's analysis assumes that consciousness is characterized by some
> kind of computation...as does Tononi.

So do I. It's called *experience processing* (vs. information processing).

https://codicalist.wordpress.com/2018/10/14/experience-processing/

> But he observes that whatever your theory of consciousness is it needs to
> at least roughly agree as to who and what is conscious.  A theory that says
> a large Vandermonde matrix is conscious fails that test.
>
> But to introduce experiential atoms is just words.  It doesn't explain
> anything.  Where do your experiential atoms go when you are unconscious?
> when you die?  How do they interact with non-experiential atoms?  Are
> experiential atoms necessary for intelligence?
>
> Brent

All good questions.

"Experiential atoms" are sort of " just words" - like "atoms" was just a
word to the Atomists of ancient Greece. And then a lot of people ignored
them. Hopefully things will go better in this round of history.

- pt