Thanks Melissa.  I don't have a digital camera- other than a webcam.  Have to
borrow my mom's and she has come over to take a few pictures of them, so once
she gets them loaded, I will post those.  These kittens are hilarious...I think
it's the group dynamic.  One one one with me, away from the others, they are
darlings.  When out for playtime, they are Satan's Minions!  Yoda is seriously
the cutest thing I've seen in a long time (second only to the Monkee!) and he
has this strut!  He struts when he first gets let out of his cage...hilarious!

They did not have diarrhea when I first got them, and I think Yoda was the only
one who had some initial diarrhea when I started his amoxy.  But then it
tapered off and I was treating them with Amoxy twice a day and stools were
normal...stinky kitten poo, but otherwise normal.

Now, Yoda's diarrhea and the cow pies (that's a good description for the stools
somewhat in between the two extremes)-- those smell pretty bad.  I have noted
the smell has gotten worse with the softer stools.

About the supplements, this past Sat. was the first Sat. I took them to cat
adoption day and put them on display and my mom came to check them out.
Bragging a little, she said my fosters look better than the other fosters and
there's no comparison!  She said they look like they are getting vitamins and
they behaved so well...they loved their outing!  Their skin and coats look
crazy-good!  But I told my mom, well, they better look good, I'm feeding them
cans of food that costs like $80 cents for a teeny can!  They are so much
better off than they were in their previous home, so everytime I get worn down
and worn out, I remember this.  I wish to god that once again, I took "before"
pix, so you all could see the "after" pix and be as shocked and amazed as me.
But my mom is always so hesitant to condone the taking of before pix b/c she
always thinks that when they come to me in such bad shape, that they will die.
She thought Yoda would die over Labor Day weekend.  I guess she views that
taking of the before pic as macabre or something.  Then, when they survive and
come out looking awesome, we kick ourselves for not taking a before pic.  Urgh.

-Caroline

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: RE: Kitten QuestionDate: Tue, 25
Sep 2007 14:10:09 -0500

Hi Caroline,

I was thinking about you and the kitties. I’m glad to have a new topic to
discuss—thanks!

Anyway, I gather from your post that they didn’t have diarrhea before or soft
stools right? I know my vet told me the antibiotics can cause diarrhea. We had
Ashley on Clavomox because of her cow-pie stools, but even after she was
finished with the Clavomox, it took 2 weeks for the stools to harden. She still
has a touch of the soft stools and some stinky gas now and then, but the smell
isn’t unbearable as it was before. Our house no longer smells like a giant
litter box. This may sound gross, but how’s the smell? With Ashley it was
nauseating—it could seriously bring you to your knees. It turned out to be
persistent parasites or bacteria or something like that which hadn’t gotten
cleared up from the first trips to the vet’s. She was a kitty eating out of a
dumpster, and I think the vet figured that because of the damage done, it was
taking longer to rehabilitate her. However, she came to me with diarrhea; she
didn’t develop it. And it took several months to get better (after much
distress on my part). But, like I said, the vet said the antibiotics can cause
diarrhea. Maybe it just takes a while to get out of your kitties’ systems.

I think it’s great that you load up on the vitamins and supplements, but you
make me feel like a negligent mommy!

Oh, we also switched Ashley to some blander food for a while. I think it was
Science Diet ID or something like that. But, I think you’re light years ahead
of me on the nutritional side of things anyway.

I hope you find homes for your babies really soon. You should post some
pictures of them for us! We could all use a little cheering up and a reminder
that the kitties, not our egos, are the most important things here.

Melissa

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Caroline
KaufmannSent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 1:55 PMTo: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: OT:
Kitten Question

I am down to three foster kittens now as one was integrated to the on-site
adoption facility (the pet supply store) on Saturday.  He was bigger and
totally healthy and getting to be too much for me because he was the instigator
and a bad influence on the other ones.  He was a  B/W little Kittler, so it
figures!  Of the three I have now, they seem to be having a touch of diarrhea?
And I don't know what the cause is?  I'm not doing anything different with
them.  They all get fed Wellness Wet Kitten food and Eagle Pack Holistic dry
kitten.  Each gets about a half of the small can of Wellness in the a.m., and
the same in the evening.  When I leave for work, after they have eaten the Wet
food, they get the Eagle Dry- kind of free choice because they stay in crates
when I am not home, so I like to leave them with some food.  They are all
drinking water fine, except for when they tip their waters over, but I don't
think they go too long before I am able to get home and refill them and it
doesn't happen every day (I just ordered "coop cups" from Revival, so these
should solve that problem).On their wet food in the am I sprinkle L-Lysine free
form powder and Brewer's yeast (and have been doing this for weeks now).  In
the pm, I do the same, but add a sprinkled on gel cap of Colostrum- about 290
mgs each.  I just placed an order for "Just Born with Colostrum" and will be
switching them to that when I get it.  I think, but am not for sure, that they
are June babies and I don't know if they are from the same litter- 2 might be,
but I don't know for sure.  The smallest now weighs 2.8 (and I should not that
this is the only one that hasn't been fixed yet because it weighed too little,
but now with me, it's a little eating and growing machine!).  The biggest-
Yoda- the first one I took in that I thought might die (weighed 2.4 lbs and
they had him on the floor for adoption!?! with a raging URI!), anyway, he now
weighs 3.6 lbs and I've had him since Labor Day Weekend!!!!  He's a growing
monster. So they all have healthy appetites and they are all gaining weight and
getting noticeably bigger.  They run and play like maniacs (they have so MUCH
energy!  My mom tells me to stop pumping them full of vitamins and
supplements!) when I let them out of their crates twice a day for play-time.
They are all well now-- it took 2 weeks to 14 days to bust those URI's out of
them, but I finally did it.  I stopped the Amoxicillin well over a week ago, so
it can't be that causing the diarrhea?  But now they seem to be having soft
stools, if not actual diarrhea.  Yoda seems to be having the diarrhea more (I
can tell with him because he has a crate to himself and the other two share
one).  My first foster cat- which I guess I am keeping (!), she's 1 now and no
longer a "kitten" but a big, healthy mature cat-- she gets the same protocol of
supplements, except she gets fed 1/4 can of regular adult Wellness in the am
and pm and free choice Wellness Dry Core.  She mingles with the kittens now
during "play-time" and she is not having any diarrhea.    Does anyone have any
thoughts about a possible cause of diarrhea and what I can do about it?     I'd
appreciate some help!  I haven't had kittens since I was 10, so I just don't
know much about them...-Caroline

Gear up for Halo® 3 and get a $25 Best Buy gift card. It’s our way of saying
thanks for using Windows Live™. Get it now!
Capture your memories in an online journal!