Ramana,

Two things - in Windows one cannot easily launch the viewer
from Java, because there is no command line interface in the
Win version of Reader, only DDE - a nuisance (at best) to
use via Java.

And yes, there is an Adobe-built java-based reader, but it is
buggy, is NOT supported, and does not support the new features
of present-day Acrobat.

Beyond that, good luck writing a PDFEditorKit

At 02:03 AM 7/28/02, Ramana wrote:

>Yep, this is OK. My thought was a viewer that can be
>         1. Added to the panel component (or)
>         2. A PDFEditorKit, as we have HTMLEditorKit.
>
>Acrobat reader is a outside application. If I launch it through a swing
>application, it gives the splash screen etc. etc. The idea is to develop a
>viewer which can be part of the swing application.
>
>Ramana.
>

>Rhett Aultman Wrote:
>
>I can't speak for others, but this has never been a problem in my time as a
>user of FOP.  My general FO document development process:
>
>1) Fiddle with FO document
>2) Run through FOP, producing PDF file
>3) Point my web browser at the PDF file
>4) Web browser launches PDF viewer, either as a plugin or an external
>process (depending on if I'm at my Windows or Solaris box)
>5) I view the document, closing the external reader, if necessary
>
>How much more simple could it get?  If it's really that much of a nuisance,
>why not write a .BAT file or other form of shell script to run FOP and then
>launch a PDF reader to read the file?  The process of doing so is fairly
>simple and direct.  I'm fairly sure that most people using FOP can follow
>such a process.

         ' Best,
         -Ralph LaChance