Hi Dark,
No problem. All I can really say hear is I've looked at a few netbooks myself a few months back, and I wasn't too impressed by them. Wal-Mart and Best Buy, for example, is nutorious for writing up a list of specifications that sound good on paper, but totally ignore the little technical details that are really important. They often ignore details like how much cache is on the processor, what the front side bus is, if the memory is capped, and so on. Even worse if you go in to a place like that asking the really technical questions the sales reps pretty much stand there, and say, "I don't know. I just work here." All of that said I think you and I probably have slightly different priorities when it comes to computers anyway. You have mentioned a desire for a small compact device you can take with you on the road anywhere you go. That's perfectly reasonable given your desire to travel. For me I'd be willing to sacrofice the size somewhat for the sake of a more powerful processor, more ram, better front side bus, large hard drive, Linux compatibility, full sized keyboard, and other things that probably are of no interest to you personally. So I tend to buy more expensive high end laptops and find something like the netbooks really on the cheap side financially and hardware wise An example of this is my need for a full sized keyboard. I generally don't use Jaws, like Window Eyes, but Window Eyes doesn't have a very good laptop keyboard layout. It heavily uses the numpad for mouse navigation so having an external numpad or one built onto the laptop's keyboard is pretty much a necessity to use it..Plus Orca, the Linux screen reader, also uses the numpad for screen review so again a full sized keyboard comes in handy. Although, Orca's laptop keys are almost as good as Jaws so I can make do with a smaller keyboard if I have to. Still I'd rather use a full sized keyboard if and when possible. This desire usually means a bigger slightly heavier laptop than someone else would buy for portability only reasons. Then, of course, there is the entire Linux compatibility issue. I don't figure there are many on this list who would think of that as a big deal too them, but it is too me. Mainly Linux is cheaper, runs better, is more secure, etc than Windows so I choose to use it if and when possible. For that reason I tend to have a multiboot setup on my laptop so I can boot and run whatever operating system is needed for the task at hand. If I have a job that requires Windows I simply start the system and boot into Windows 7. If I want to run Linux, which is most of the time, I select it from the boot menu and use that instead. It allows me alot more freedom of choice and gets the job done when I can select between multiple operating systems. So for me hardware compatibility is of extreme importance.

Cheers!

dark wrote:
Hi tom.

thanks for checking. i was banking on the basis that audio games, ---- unlike games like the latest doom or halflife offerings don't require gigantic processing speed or huge ram, ---- however lack of sound card doesn't sound as well (ha ha), especially sinse I want the netbook for general music and audio playback as well as games.

Reviews for the samsung range I've been looking at do recommend them for music and films though, so possibly they are at the better end of this markit.

I think i'm going to have to find either an intelligent sales rep or someone who owns a samsung and grill them about both processor power and audio capabilities before I commit hard cash.

Portability would be extremely nice, but as I'm actually talking about exchanging my portable computer, ---- I need to think carefully first.

thanks again for the research.

beware the grue!