Hi Damien,
Well, when I started programming we took a corse on pseudo code to get
us introduced to the concept of programming without actually handling
a programming language. then, we took Visual Basic which was simple
enough to learn, and by the end of the 12 week course I had written a
number of complex applications like a notepad program, calculator, UI
for a MS Access database, etc. However, when I took C++ I was put out
at the complexity and the fact I couldn't put together a program as
fast etc. However, the features it offers in terms in very low level
development etc makes it worth using. Plus by learning C++ and the
concept of oop It open the door to many other programming languages
like Java, C# .Net, Perl, etc. I won't deny C++ was hard at first, but
I have a more indepth understanding than your VB programmer because I
went from a beginners language to an advanced programming language. Of
course, C++ wouldn't be easy because it is an advanced language, and
no one should treat it as such.

Smile.