Hi Charles,

Right. The Genesis 3D engine, G3D, and Mysteries of the Ancients
started being developed in 2008. What took so aweful long was instead
of creating Mysteries of the Ancients right away I had to create,
update, and debug the engine and then create the game itself using
said engine. Now, if I had stuck with .Net the game would have been
done a year ago, but I decided in Decenber 2009 that I should drop
.Net and switch the engine and game over to C++. That took about six
months to a year to get everything fully converted and working as
before.

Now, if I were to start a new game tomorrow it wouldn't take nearly as
long to create because A, I have an existing game engine, and B, I'm
not going to be writing it in .Net and switch to C++ just when the
game is nearly done. In short, a lot of time was spent on experimental
code or in rewrites rather than actual development here.

Cheers!