Hi Dark,

Yeah, I'm glad you see my point. its one thing to borrow an existing
game universe Star Wars, Star Trek, Megaman, Castlevania, etc and
quite another matter to create your own universe from scratch. You can
design it completely the way you want to, create characters you enjoy,
and spend time bringing them to life. Its probably the closest to
godhood any single person can get.

Plus as we have discussed before one reason I play games is for the
game story. A game like Sryth, for example, apeals to me because its
an interactive story rather than just a game. Sure the adventures and
so on are scripted by the game developer, but I get to pick and choose
my adventurer, creat him/her from scratch, decide if he/she is
good/evil, decide where he/she lives, what they look like, whatever.
Its this ability to create my character and play adventures out in the
game world why I like Sryth and other roll playing games so much.

Well, writing or creating games from scratch isn't much different. Its
kind of the same thing only on a bigger scale. Instead of creating one
character or single aspect of a game I, the game developer, get to
create it all. Once written I get to fulfill my dreams through that
imaginary game world.

As you also pointed out most people enjoy a game that stands out from
the crowd. Something that is unique usually does and can be a big hit
with gamers where clones are kind of the "been there done that" kind
of feeling. Castaways is a great example of that in progress. Sure
there was SoundRTS and of course Time of Conflict, but nothing quite
like Castaways has ever been created in accessible form, and it is
making huge waves in the audio games community precisely because it is
unique, different, and not just another Space Invaders knock-off.
Entombed is another unique game that made a massive hit because it
really stands out.

Cheers!