Hi Michael,

Sure I completely agree with you. The VI gaming community could use a
much broader spectrum of games, and its definitely a good subject to
talk about.

As to your question why developers aren't creating games like those
you mentioned I can only guess. I suppose it boils down to a couple of
issues.

First, the general exposure of the community to mainstream games. By
their own admition many VI developers have very little to no
eexperience with mainstream games. Its very difficult for them to
create games  on par or equal to a certain type of game available to
the mainstream public if they themselves haven't had that experience.
That holds true for any developer including me.

Second, is training/programming skill. Many VI game developers are
self-taught. Some self-taught programmers are very good, and others
are so-so. However, the bottom line when asking a question why this or
that game hasn't been developed is the skill level of the developers
doing the work. There is a progression every developer goes through
such as writing simple Guess the Number type games, maybe moves on to
card games, and slowly works his or her way up to more and more
complex games. As a result its very quite possible we have a very
small handful of developers capable of creating a particular type of
game, and the others are still developers in training. Still trying to
learn this or that.

As for Star Trek Final Conflict. To be honest that was just a practice
game for me. Yeah, I know about Star Trek Elite Force, Bridge
Commander, etc myself as I have played them. In fact, I still own the
installation discs for Elite Force I, Elite Force II, Bridge
Commander, etc. I understand what you are saying, but I think you are
being just a bit too critical here.

I can't speak for David Greenwood's Trek 2000, but I can tell you STFC
was done as a turn based game. At the time I began writing it in 2004
I was just learning C# .Net, and I was just beginning to study Managed
DirectX. As I was new to the technologies at hand I thought I'd work
on something fairly simple. I took Trek 2000 and updated the concept
using the TNG/DS9 era, and created STFC. It wasn't really intended to
measure up with something like Bridge Commander or an FPS game like
Elite Force.

That said, now that I've developed a game engine in written in pure
C++ I could quite easily put together something like Elite Force, or a
real time sstarship engagement such as you described. In fact, have
plans to do so once I clear my desk of MOTA, Raceway, etc. I was
planning on doing that a long time ago but got side tracked with other
projects.

Finally, as for switching to say Star Gate it is the same problem is
using any official sci-fi universe. Copyrights, copyrights,
copyrights. To be honest I no longer feel completely comfortable using
copyrighted works like Star Trek, Star Gate, or even Star Wars as I
can be sued for using a copyright without permission.  Even if I use
one that pretty much means I have to release the game as freeware or
open source to avoid the copyright suits. As I am trying to run a
business, make money off my work, that doesn't really work out so
well.

Cheers!