On Wed, 23 May 2001, Christoph Rauch wrote:
 > Nick Lamb schrieb:
 > > That's pretty poor. Why would I want to update my bookmarks?
 >
 > You need not. gimp.org will happily redirect you to the page you wanted.

Hmmm...  This is better than nothing, but if would be nice if there
could be some real pages (not redirects) at the following URLs, to
which a number of other web sites (or user bookmarks) are pointing:
   http://www.gimp.org/mailing_list.html
   http://www.gimp.org/download.html
   http://www.gimp.org/devel_cvs.html
   http://www.gimp.org/docs.html
   http://www.gimp.org/tutorials.html
   http://www.gimp.org/links.html
   http://www.gimp.org/logos.html
A redirection would work, but the short URLs are nice and easy to
remember (a redirect would probably replace them by a longer URL).

 > > Because you've decided that
 > > downloads go in foo/ and screenshots go in baz/ ?
 >
 > Because its easier to maintain. We have more possibilities to guide the user
 > if we use directories.

Yes.  As long as there are not too many levels (deep hierarchy), this
should be OK.  But it would be nice if the most frequently visited
pages could have a very short URL, like the ones listed above.

 > > Please explain to me, a simple web user, why I need the URLs for info
 > > on the Gimp site to change. If there isn't a compelling reason for the
 > > USER then there's no reason at all, is there?
 >
 > go to http://www.gimp.org/download/

OK, that directory does not exist and you get a 404 error (which could
be replaced by a redirect to the correct page).  But where did you
find a link to it?  The only links that I found are pointing to the
page (not directory): http://www.gimp.org/download.html

Anyway, that did not answer Nick's question: why would the users have
to change their bookmarks?

-Raphael