On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine <
alexandre.prokoud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/7/22 David Gowers wrote:
>
> > tools. When I think about it, I wonder whether such users ever get to
> using
> > GIMP with any level of frequency or intensity, as IMO with the
> global-brush
> > option off
>
> Don't wonder -- they do. And I do too :)
>
> (Speaking of which, the fact that tools presets don't save/restore
> scale value isn't helpful either.)

AFAICS that isn't a generally true fact. Works for me -- I just checked by
choosing 1.06, saving that as a preset,
setting it to 0.01 and loading the preset (which correctly reset scale to
1.0).
What version are you using (I'm using a recent git version, I'd guess that
if there was a bug, any 2.7 version would have it fixed.)
I guess also it is possible that one of your preset files is corrupt and
causing problems.

> >>Clear separation of default settings for different tools is such an
> obvious
> >>thing...
> > I agree with that. Unfortunately, having sensible, different defaults for
> > different tools is in direct conflict with having an efficient,
> > un-surprising workflow
>
> Contrary to that I would yell every time I switched from Paintbrush to
> Eraser if I didn't have global brush disabled. It's way too convenient
> to use e.g. smaller eraser *automatically*

Hmm, I tend to forget that there are people who use mice for general GIMP
work. I can see how this could actually save time then, if you only ever use
Eraser with one or two different fixed brushes instead of
switching a lot.