I use LyX for scientific papers but have had problems with both collaborators and editors. Many collaborators are unfamiliar with LyX / LaTeX and it lacks strong collaboration tools (change tracking etc.). I've tried sharing drafts with PDF but that requires colleagues to purchase full versions of Acrobat, and still the tools are tracking changes are not as good.

I've also had problems with journal and book editors, one of which insisted I convert a book chapter written in LyX into Word format despite the fact that the publisher (Elsevier) has a LaTeX document class available. I've also encountered other journals where document classes are not available (e.g. I've not found one for Journal of Biogeography....)

For these reasons I'm tempted to try Scientific Word, but so far I've been put off by the price. I love LyX and use it for single authored manuscripts whenever I can. I also think that the ability to embed R code and data into LyX documents with Sweave opens a whole new world for scientific transparency and reproducibility that I would like to see developed further.

If the list has suggestions for some of the concerns above I'd love to hear them.

Many thanks,
Denné

Assistant Professor
University of Texas at Austin