my experience both first and second hand is that lowel level devices
(like keyboard and mouse) are not advisable candidates for USB
implementation

with some trepidation i put in a wireless logictech optical mouse on USB
and after a small amount of futzing and rebooting W2K, it worked great

then some days later I got a blue screen which was an 'early' blue
screen "STOP" message
comparable to HALT in the old days

this is like you don't have a box anymore buddy

all of the advice on the screen was worthless, SAFE MODE would not run,
machine would not boot under any conditions
my palms were sweating ...

i finally reached around and unplugged the USB mouse and then SAFE MODE
started
i plugged the mouse transmitter into the PS2 port and soon all was well
again

BTW, the mouse transmitter cable has a very small adapter which plugs
onto the PS2 male cable end and presents a USB plug
how does that work anyway? it seems like these two interfaces are apples
and oranges and the adapter doesn't appear large enough to contain any
electronics
just curious

Dennis Saputelli