Brad,

Yes, and it can be quite common if you are not careful.

Sometimes I will select a PAD and think I have a COMPONENT, and the
result is that I will move that PAD independent of the COMPONENT, either
by dragging it or changing its location in a dialogue box, irrespective
of primitives being locked or not.

Whenever I think that I may have moved a PAD, I always go back to the
library and "update" the COMPONENT to make sure everything is back in
the right place.

While I cannot list all of the various modes in which it is possible to
select a PAD when you think you are selecting something else, this
usually has happened to me when I am doing things very quickly, and
while I am not aware just what all of the rules involved are and
therefore can't say exactly what I did to select a PAD as opposed to a
whole COMPONENT, I realize that the pad has moved without understanding
how I selected it. I know that different rules apply in different modes.
For example: If I have an IC in a dense layout with tracks underneath it
on several layers, and I try to select a pad by holding down the left
mouse button, I will usually see a box offering either the COMPONENT
itself or several tracks or other objects that are underneath the PAD I
am attempting to select, but it will not contain the PAD itself. However
if I double click on the same PAD, that box will have the PAD listed in
it and will allow me to select the PAD and open a Dialogue on it, where,
among other things, I can change its location.

I know that several times when I have wanted to move a COMPONENT a
precise distance, say 5 mils in the +X direction, I have quickly
selected the COMPONENT, changed the X coordinate value, and then closed
the dialogue box only to find out that I had selected and moved only a
PAD of the COMPONENT rather than the COMPONENT itself.

Is it possible that this could have happened to you?

JaMi Smith