At 10:23 AM 3/29/2002 -0800, Dennis Saputelli wrote:
>it took about half an hour to find but i had saved the problem file
>it did chunk down to a fragment and still shows the pad jump
>i don't know what it proves because there are means by which i could
>have moved the pad (except that i didn't)

This is not what I meant, sorry for the trouble Mr. Saputelli experienced
finding this. I meant that if one could reproduce the problem, it would be
useful to save the file (plus, I should have mentioned, a description of
what it takes to get the pad to jump).

Without that, without some way of demonstrating pad jump, a file with a
moved pad is likely to be pretty uninteresting. As Mr. Saputelli knows,
there are many ways to produce such an effect without involving a bug. He
could have accidentally edited a pad location. He could have accidentally
unlocked the component and thus cursor movement might move a pad. And,
unlikely as it is, a computer glitch could produce such an effect.

Most of us, it appears, have never seen such movement in spite of a lot of
work with Protel PCB files. So, if there is a bug, it bites very, very
rarely. Such bugs can be *extremely* difficult to find.

I have suggested that Protel incorporate into the program a tool that
records all editing activity. Such a tool, if it was operating when pad
movement occurred (or any other obscure bug), would have a reasonable
possibility of reproducing the bug conditions. But we don't have the tool,
unless it is through some third-party utility that monitors and records all
keyboard and mouse activity, plus file backup, with a facility for playing
it back later. I think an animal exists, but I haven't seen it personally.