At 05:50 PM 3/28/2002 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
>This is scary.  I generally click in the center of the component, as I
>usually do NOT want to edit the pad, but the component.  But, sometimes,
>especially when there is netlist trouble, I click on the pad to see the net
>name
>more clearly than the way it is drawn over the pad.  Scary to think you can
>
>move the pad with a bobble on the mouse button!

Protel should warn before completing an edit on a footprint pad (if pads
are locked), but it isn't a terribly common problem. You'd have to actually
edit the entries in the X and Y coordinates of the pad.

You might also move a footprint pad by, for example, having selected the
pad and having left it selected, doing a global edit on a free pad and
altering the X or Y coordinate, *and* changing the scope to "all
primitives" from "free primitives." I haven't verified this; once again,
this would not be easy to do accidentally, particularly if one is careful
about global edits, as one should *always* be. Pay attention to the count
of changes reported before okaying it!!!

Since most of us have never seen a pad move as described, unless one of
these possible causes rings a bell, we may not be able to identify the
cause, *unless* the behavior can be reproduced. For all we know, it was a
cosmic ray....