At 02:40 PM 4/17/2002 -0700, Shuping Lew wrote:
>I use some notes on every schematic project. So I created a schematic symbol
>named "note" for it. To avoid the warning of missing footprint, I also
>created a footprint named "blank" to associate with that symbol.

I think there is a better way. You can copy notes to the clipboard and then
paste them repeatedly wherever you want. To set up these notes for repeated
use, just create a schematic sheet from which you can copy them each time
you create a project. You could also make the notes part of your drawing
format, i.e., the template file.

I'd guess that the problem was caused by whatever was in that "blank"
footprint. If it had no primitives, that would very likely be an
unanticipated  data structure, it is not surprising that it would crash
Protel. Yes, the data should have been tested before being crunched, but
the reality is that programmers simply don't think of everything....

We should perhaps verify this bug, I don't have time, but it should not be
difficult. Once it is a reported bug, if we can verify it, future versions
will be tested, by us if not by Protel....