Hamid,

The reason I'm amazed is that I can't be the first to notice that FSO has major shortcomings. Obviously Protel saw the need for it, so why have they stopped short?

I'm not quite as cynical. It's apparent that DXP was the result of truly integrating the various Protel products. A good thing in concept, but I imagine creating a good common interface is a bigger task than we all realize. It looks like Protel's answer was to mimic the IDE (Integrated Development Environment) that programmers use on a daily basis. It also uses a query language which probably makes the Protel programers feel right at home.

I think it was short sited because most of what is do is graphical in nature, not text based, and most of us are not programers. The FSO panel was an attempt to make us non-programers more comfortable with DXP. The FSO is simply a mini front end for the query language. It not unlike the 99 style global edit dialog, and it's good as far as it goes, but it doesn't go far enough. Please Protel, continue what you started with FSO and make it truly usable.

If Protel doesn't realize it yet, they need to understand that most layout designers are not comfortable with a text based front end for our CAD system (isn't that one of the reasons we abandoned DOS?). CAD is a graphical application and DXP needs a full GUI that doesn't force us to remember arcane commands and syntax. I to like the power of queries, but please don't force it on us.

JM