[Wikimedia-l] Re: Simplifying governance processes

2022-05-20 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, What is the point of diversity when the agenda for everyone is insisted to be the same. What is the point of much of what we do as volunteers when it will not be considered as the basis for use by a public? Thanks, GerardM On Fri, 20 May 2022 at 12:26, WereSpielChequers wrote: >

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Are you considering running for the 2022 Wikimedia Foundation board elections?

2022-05-04 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, My experience as a candidate was that the diversity sought is external. You may look different, have a different background, speak a different language, come from a different country. However, when you have an agenda, want something that is not on the agenda, you are informed that there is

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Legacy maintenance

2022-04-19 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, How do you compare functionality that is totally broken with "another tool". Or is your tool broken as well? As to Commons, we once had a Wikidata provided search tool that allowed search in any language. It was "adopted" by general search and is now no longer functional. In essence it

[Wikimedia-l] Legacy maintenance

2022-04-19 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, In information I read the WMF intends to spend less. However, given that there is a huge technical debt in maintenance, including software that is currently not functional. I wonder why we intend to spend less when our technical house is not in order. For just one example of technical debt

[Wikimedia-l] Re: UNLOCK free knowledge projects | Call for application

2022-04-05 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Wikimedia Germany produced a tool that allows people to find pictures based on the Wikidata item they are associated with (depicts)... As Wikidata uses labels in all the Wikimedia languages, it follows that when labels exist, children who seek pictures at school can find these pictures. When

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Wikimedia Foundation governance and Russian finances

2022-03-14 Thread Gerard Meijssen
re > appropriate transparency. > > Please avoid making bad faith accusations of using a "page out of the > playbook" of escalation when they have done no such thing. It is > manipulative and unwelcome when you know nothing about who you are > attacking. > > Lane > >

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Wikimedia Foundation governance and Russian finances

2022-03-13 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, A reality check. With a Wikipedian in jail in Belarus, it is easy to grasp that Wikipedia is not the flavour of the month in either Belarus or in Russia by the "powers that be". When you compare Wikimedia projects to Facebook, the glaring difference between them is money. Our money has as a

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Form 990 clarification request (for the attention of WMF accounts staff)

2022-03-07 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, What you describe is a standard approach to what is not the real problem.The problem is in diversity. It is a stated objective and the Wikimedia Foundation does a comparatively good job.. except that it could be so much better. Another issue with concentrating on fundraising is that it is

[Wikimedia-l] What diversity is about

2022-03-03 Thread Gerard Meijssen
One of the stated objectives for the board of the Wikimedia Foundation is to have a more diverse representation, for it to be more inclusive. As an abstract it is a really worthwhile objective, once chosen as one of the more diverse board members of the Wikimedia Foundation however, it is easy to

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Our World in Data (OWID)

2022-03-02 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi James, The biggest bottleneck to innovation is our own community process. It is also an impossibility to get Wikimedia to consider how it performs for specific groups of students. Never mind. When you want to increase the value of "Our World in Data", it helps when their identifiers are

[Wikimedia-l] Re: RfC: Stop accepting cryptocurrency donations

2022-01-12 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, For what it is worth, I don't mind the WMF accepting crypto.. I do mind WMF hanging on to crypto currencies. So when they get it and monetise it immediately, all well and good. The motto being: You do not look a gift horse in the mouth ... Thanks, GerardM On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at

[Wikimedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Re: Uplifting the multimedia stack (was: Community Wishlist Survery)

2022-01-02 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Only Pallas Athena arrived fully mature in armour from the head of Zeus. We will never have a complete plan when all we do is based on the existence of budgets, it failed us miserably. The way forward is to own our infra structure including all software and decide its worth, its risc and if

[Wikimedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Re: Uplifting the multimedia stack (was: Community Wishlist Survery)

2022-01-02 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, There should be several mechanisms determining what work gets done. What Asaf describes is a budget based process. Another mechanism is centred around responsibility. The granularity of responsibility does not negate that the buck stops at a certain level. When responsibility has no

[Wikimedia-l] Wikisource gains a public

2021-12-21 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I am really happy to have noticed that Wikisource books will be offered by the Internet Archive in its Open Library project. Obviously, it is well deserved that Wikisource gets a bigger public. I have two questions: * to what extent is the Wikimedia Foundation aware and has been involved *

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Approval of Human Rights Policy

2021-12-18 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, What Jimmy does or does not from within his own organisation has nothing to do with the Wikimedia Foundation. You know that.. Thanks, GerardM On Thu, 9 Dec 2021 at 22:20, Andreas Kolbe wrote: > Given the topic of human rights, I would like to point out that we have > not had any

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Creating new Wikidata items for all Commons categories

2021-12-18 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, As long as we can not confidently search for pictures in any language I really wonder what the point is of such an exercise. In my opinion we should prioritise measurable effects for our users. Something like: "A nine year old will find pictures in his or her language on all the subjects of

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Wikimedia-l Digest, Vol 355, Issue 1

2021-12-13 Thread Gerard Meijssen
the list at >> wikimedia-l-ow...@lists.wikimedia.org >> >> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific >> than "Re: Contents of Wikimedia-l digest..." >> >> Today's Topics: >> >>1. Re: Wikimedia-l Dig

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Wikimedia-l Digest, Vol 348, Issue 3

2021-12-13 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Why is it that you consider the "community" a single body that has a remit under the law for anything? It is not and it has not. Thanks, GerardM On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 at 11:40, Nosebagbear wrote: > Dear Patrick, > > Firstly, you (and in this case, I mean, "I notified members of T

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Movement Charter Drafting Committee elections are now open!

2021-10-12 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Dear Todd, thank you for the invite to read up on this document full of "buzzwords and fury, signifying nothing". I did just that and not find what you suggested, what I found is a determined effort to bring more equity and diversity (you can look up the words in Wiktionary or any other

[Wikimedia-l] Re: About raising money

2021-09-28 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Andreas, you are entitled to an opinion. But it is your opinion. When others say things about the WMF, what it is there for, its challenges, when they build an argument you can and you do ignore it. The consequence is that it invalidates your refutations and your opinion is only that at best.

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Wikimedia Endowment reaches initial $100 million goal and welcomes new board members

2021-09-28 Thread Gerard Meijssen
a=3876137=3875379 > [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikilegal/Database_Rights#Conclusion > [3] > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2016-01-13/News_and_notes > [4] https://wikipedia20.pubpub.org/pub/fcgjp9ul/release/2 > [5] > https://diff.wikimedia.org/2021/09/23/

[Wikimedia-l] Re: About raising money

2021-09-26 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Thank you for your reply. I am grateful for the insight that you offered and find that my notions have mostly aligned. They will align even more as I consider it further. There is one other aspect that you miss.. probably quite deliberately. There are those that consider that Wikipedia is

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Wikimedia Endowment reaches initial $100 million goal and welcomes new board members

2021-09-26 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Facts are in and of themselves not copyrightable. Collections of data may be copyrighted.We choose not to and as a result Wikidata is the powerhouse that it has become.The CC-by-sa license is our license of choice for Wikipedia however, the way it has been enforced so far has been defensive,

[Wikimedia-l] Re: About raising money

2021-09-25 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, As you present your numbers in isolation, you can make up any argument and not address any of the points made in the original post and subsequent replies. When you mention salaries, you do not compare them to the common practices for remuneration and only when you do, can you argue that it is

[Wikimedia-l] Re: About raising money

2021-09-25 Thread Gerard Meijssen
eventing it from happening. > > Please correct me if I am wrong by pointing out how much money was spent > on the priorities you highlight. > > Vito > > Il giorno sab 25 set 2021 alle ore 09:19 Gerard Meijssen < > gerard.meijs...@gmail.com> ha scritto: > >> H

[Wikimedia-l] Re: About raising money

2021-09-25 Thread Gerard Meijssen
t; Once again this is not what the fundraising messages point out. > > This is just a quite shareable list of top priorities in your opinion. > > Vito > > Il giorno sab 25 set 2021 alle ore 09:00 Gerard Meijssen < > gerard.meijs...@gmail.com> ha scritto: > >> H

[Wikimedia-l] Re: About raising money

2021-09-25 Thread Gerard Meijssen
y that they couldn't do with some more money than > the amount they have – but about whether you give the public and > prospective donors a more or less accurate impression of your financial > situation and your spending intentions. > > Do you think the current fund

[Wikimedia-l] Re: About raising money

2021-09-24 Thread Gerard Meijssen
; portrayed by banners is not true, there's no risk of closing our projects. > > *Assumes that there is only one project* is true, but in terms of current > fundraising communication. > > Vito > > > Il giorno ven 24 set 2021 alle ore 14:50 Gerard Meijssen < > gerard.meijs..

[Wikimedia-l] About raising money

2021-09-24 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, There are some people who repeatedly argue that we raise way too much money. Given a set of assumptions an argument can be constructed to make this point. In my opinion there is little merit to the argument. We do need money to operate the Wikimedia projects and a positive outcome per year

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Encyclopedic Coverage of American Elections

2021-09-21 Thread Gerard Meijssen
es with updates to Wikipedia election > articles anywhere. I have no idea how to tackle these issues but have > complete confidence in the various election-related WikiProjects so if > there’s such a project on meta maybe they have already joined forces on > this. > Jane > > Sent from

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Encyclopedic Coverage of American Elections

2021-09-21 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, What is painfully obvious is the bias that exists. For countries in Africa we do not even know all the government ministers past and present for the last 70 years let alone that we know about past elections. At that, it is fine with me that subjects like this are raised. Thanks, GerardM

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Wikipedia issues in UNDARK.org #Opinion article to check...

2021-08-27 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Please use Google when you do not know who you are talking to. Thanks, GerardM On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 at 19:09, wrote: > >Mike is not an employee nor a spokesperson for the > Wikimedia Foundation. > > Oh, thanks. > > I don't know who he is. His manner led me to believe he represented

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Wikipedia issues in UNDARK.org #Opinion article to check...

2021-08-27 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Get your facts straight. Mike is not an employee nor a spokesperson for the Wikimedia Foundation. Andreas has a set of hobby horses. That is fine but it does not follow that we have to be grateful for them. Yes, there are plenty of issues with all of our projects and at that, English sets a

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Wikipedia issues in UNDARK.org #Opinion article to check...

2021-08-22 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, There were Wikipedias closed in the past before the recent issue at the Croation Wikipedia because of content, language. It is not only recent, it is more pronounced but not a shift Thanks, GerardM On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 at 19:00, Andreas Kolbe wrote: > Well, that was the difference I

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Wikipedia issues in UNDARK.org #Opinion article to check...

2021-08-18 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Given that I reply to your statement.. it should be obvious. Thanks, GerardM On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 at 13:12, Peter Southwood wrote: > Gerard, > > With whom do you beg to differ? > > P > > > > *From:* Gerard Meijssen [mailto:gerard.meijs...@gmail.com] >

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Wikipedia issues in UNDARK.org #Opinion article to check...

2021-08-17 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I beg to differ. If anything the WMF needs to focus us more on the imbalance that exists between the fundamental bias toward English versus all other languages. For me the easiest picking is to share in the sum of the knowledge that is available to us. To get there simple goals like "a nine

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-19 Thread Gerard Meijssen
es irrespective of > multilingualism issues, but we have notably improved over time. > > best, > > Dariusz Jemielniak, "pundit" > > On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 6:33 AM Gerard Meijssen > wrote: > >> Hoi, >> The notion that search works because "there is so

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-18 Thread Gerard Meijssen
n.com/in/ircpresident> < > http://instragram.com/ircpresident> > > > > Key: 0x5D13669E Fingerprints: 7838 7FE7 E0E4 BF88 0024 2703 B452 E75A > > 5D13 669E > > > > Amplifying Global Voices stories by the translation into dozens of > > languages with the help of

[Wikimedia-l] Making Wikicite a success by putting the Wikipedia editor first

2021-07-17 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, After a five year run, the Wikicite project has come to an end, it is a success. To secure the accomplishments of the last five years, it is vitally important to find a public for what comes next. The suggestion from the Wikicite people is to support all Wikipedias [1]. This is a great

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-16 Thread Gerard Meijssen
gt; A board that starts dictating how projects must function, is probably > a board that volunteers would never elect, if they have a choice. > > Thanks, > Fae > > On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 at 15:26, Gerard Meijssen > wrote: > > > > Hoi, > > You make your point and

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-16 Thread Gerard Meijssen
do not truly value the data that we have. Thanks, GerardM [1] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MediaSearch?type=image=beaver [2] https://hay.toolforge.org/sdsearch/#q=haswbstatement:P180=Q181191 On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 at 13:42, Fæ wrote: > On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 at 17:32, Gerard Meijsse

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-14 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, In an ideal world, it is indeed the content of the Wikimedia projects that our public sees. Each project represents a set of editors who contribute to a project. In general, all well meaning contributors are welcome. Some contributors contribute regularly, take pride in it and associate

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-10 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, The purpose of a Wikipedia is to provide encyclopaedic knowledge to a public. The purpose of the Wikimedia projects is to share in the sum of all knowledge. What the Wikimedia organisation supports is the infrastructure for our public to share in the sum of all the knowledge available to us

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-06 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi. One reason why I am a candidate for the board of the WMF is that in my opinion one function is lacking. There is no reflection of the fact that all that we do is to share the sum of all knowledge. It is not only about the creation of content but also about sharing the sum all the knowledge

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Concerns about BoT Election Q

2021-07-05 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Fae a few points..First board members are volunteers like you and all the things that are asked of a candidate represents a significant amount of time. In addition there are timelines and the notion of a process to improve questions is not really feasible. Also I said it before, many of the

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Concerns about BoT Election Q

2021-07-05 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, some reflections: You have to appreciate that fulfilling the role of a board member of the Wikimedia Foundations is very time consuming. The candidates that may be chosen from are all volunteers, they have a day job. The argument for having only eleven questions as given to us candidates

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Welcoming María Sefidari as a Foundation consultant. :)

2021-06-27 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, First, I am a candidate for the board of the Wikimedia Foundation. I have taken time to see what people say, not react immediately. For María to become a consultant, I am of two minds. She is probably best placed to support the implementation of the strategy as defined. With both the

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Appropriate promotion OR Appropriate canvassing protocol/policy

2021-06-25 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Why is a guideline on English Wikipedia the right place for a policy that is of a global relevance? Thanks, GerardM On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 at 09:05, টিটো দত্ত Tito Dutta wrote: > Hello, > This is something I have been thinking about for some time. This June–July > we will see a couple of

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Why I am a candidate for the WMF board

2021-06-13 Thread Gerard Meijssen
13 Jun 2021 at 11:41, Željko Blaće wrote: > On 6/13/21, Gerard Meijssen wrote: > > > https://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2021/06/board-member-of-wikimedia-foundation.html > > Good for you Gerard. However it would be better if your inputs would > not consistently direct away fr

[Wikimedia-l] Why I am a candidate for the WMF board

2021-06-13 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I have put myself forward as a candidate for the board of the Wikimedia Foundation. What I hope to achieve is that as a global community, as a movement, foundation, we will share more of "the sum of the knowledge that is available to us". In my opinion this fits in perfectly with our

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Flourishing of the Endowment

2021-05-24 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I respectfully totally disagree. My response you find on my blog.. Thanks, GerardM https://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2021/05/wikimedia-needs-your-support-because.html On Mon, 24 May 2021 at 16:49, Andreas Kolbe wrote: > Hi again, Julia and Pats, > > I've written an article for

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Flourishing of the Endowment

2021-05-08 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, First of all I totally agree that the endowment should function as a guarantee that material donated to Commons by people and organisations effectively guarantees its future existence and availability. With the United States destabilised by fracturing democratic institutes, it follows that at

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Idea of a new project: Wikifacts ?

2021-02-05 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Jimmy has a project that does exactly that. Having said that, what we could do is have a project investigating the missing information in Wikidata. The bias in Wikidata is alive and well. I doubt for instance that there is one city in Africa whose mayors are all known in Wikidata.. For

[Wikimedia-l] Trees and Wikimedia

2020-12-11 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Wikimedia is now associated with a project where trees are planted. In many ways the notion of planting new trees is great. However, very often it is not. In Europe grazers are actively introduced to prevent shrubs and trees from growing. Reasons for this abound. The first is that it helps

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Translatable modules

2020-09-22 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Would it be considered for projects that are not the initial target to opt in.. I expect that particular in the smaller projects this will be really welcome and beneficial. Thanks, GerardM On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 at 16:39, Amir E. Aharoni wrote: > Hi, > > *Crossposting to Wikimedia-L,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A Universal Code of Conduct draft for review

2020-09-09 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I do not like the text. You first state a problem that the policy is to address. By flipping the order it becomes instantly more positive. The objective is to instill the notion what normal behaviour is and that sadly we have to insist on normal behaviour. Thanks, GerardM On Mon, 7

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New essay on the ambiguity of NC licenses

2020-08-11 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, We do not need a "centralised Wiki for NC files". What we need is recognition of what we have and where we have it. In the Wikification of media files, only the files at Commons have so far been considered. In addition to the mediafiles that should be in Commons because of their license,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Universal Code of Conduct Drafting Committee - Call for participation

2020-08-01 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, So what is your alternative, what do you have as an alternative? Thanks, GerardM On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 at 20:24, Peter Southwood wrote: > Hi Christel, > I wish the committee well, and success in coming up with a workable > policy. This is fine as long as no assumption is made that

[Wikimedia-l] Freedom and speech.. broaching the subject of our Wikimedia bias

2020-07-20 Thread Gerard Meijssen
I have documenten my Wiki related activities for fifteen years on my blog [1]. I write argued opinions centred around my experiences. I always invite people to consider the arguments and argue their point. At this point I find the Wikimedia Foundation increasingly intolerant of considered

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Operation and oversight of OTRS system

2020-07-20 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, How can OTRS be part of Wikipedia, it is there for any and all projects. Thanks, GerardM On Sat, 11 Jul 2020 at 10:48, Peter Southwood wrote: > Context is necessary to understand this. > If OTRS part of Wikipedia? If not, Which ANI? > Cheers, > Peter > > -Original Message- >

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

2020-07-20 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, HAPPY NEWS :) We will learn a lot, experience many challenges and it does have the potential to provide more of the information that is available to us. Particularly in languages other than English the impact can be huge. At a Wikidata conference in Berlin we had someone from PanLex present

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board update on Branding: next steps

2020-06-29 Thread Gerard Meijssen
ect, unfortunately they did not > identify a cure. > Cheers, > P > > -Original Message- > From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On > Behalf Of Gerard Meijssen > Sent: 29 June 2020 12:36 > To: Wikimedia Mailing List > Subject: Re: [Wiki

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board update on Branding: next steps

2020-06-29 Thread Gerard Meijssen
not refute by dismissing them. Thanks, GerardM On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 at 11:43, Benjamin Lees wrote: > On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:56 AM Gerard Meijssen > > wrote: > > > Dear WereSpielChequers, the thing with bias is that it shows in the > choices > > made. You are a Wik

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board update on Branding: next steps

2020-06-29 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Dear WereSpielChequers, the thing with bias is that it shows in the choices made. You are a Wikipedian, do not really care for the other projects and you make that plain in what you say. The problem with bias is that it has consequences in how you approach issues. When Wikipedia "consensus"

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thoughts on the rebranding initiative: "Movement"

2020-06-22 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, It is abundantly clear that some identify only by their community. It is abundantly clear that people in some communities do not recognise shared values like "sharing in the sum of all knowledge". It is also clear that the Wikimedia Foundation is not bound by what some in a community insist

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding

2020-06-22 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Please take a step back. The Wikimedia Foundation is incorporated in a way specifically designed to prevent the community from taking over. The problem with the community is that there is no community as such; there is a movement that includes different communities with different needs and

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Brand Project] Rescheduling Naming Convention Proposal community review

2020-06-21 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I do not translate but I do care. What I personally do is include data in a structured manner. I do it for things I more or less care about.. It does include awards, educated at, employed by, Ottoman history, Africa, science.. The point in what I do is that much of these structures can be

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation proposal to call ourselves as the Wikipedia Network, Wikipedia Movement or simply Wiki

2020-06-21 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Today I wrote a "swot analysis" [1]. What I want us to achieve is an increased effectiveness in our aim to share the sum of all knowledge. What I write is stark. I allow for a situation where Mr Trump remains president. I contrast on the one hand that room for growth (think audience) is not

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: transition to implementation begins

2020-06-10 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, The biggest problem of this strategy document that I see is that it is oriented towards our own internals. This is best understood from the first sentence: *People-centeredness means that every aspect of our Movement must address the needs and challenges of the people who power it and whom

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Brand Project] Rescheduling Naming Convention Proposal community review

2020-06-07 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, How will you cope in other languages, other scripts. Is engaging all over the world NOT in English a consideration> Thanks, GerardM On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 at 05:34, Zack McCune wrote: > Hi Tito - > > Your observation is fair and welcome. The project team will update the > timeline on

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Early thoughts regarding a global code of conduct and a GCC committee

2020-06-07 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, To help you remember, we had such situations in the past, they were resolved. It was ultimately the language committee who stopped Wikipedias. Background it is this same language committee who is instrumental in starting new projects. On a different topic. Diversity and bias is very much

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2020 Community Spotlight Survey

2020-05-31 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hey Chris, The most inspiring thing, what will have a huge effect on our community happened in the last week or so. It started with a proof of concept by Hay Kranen [1]. It works and it brought search to Commons. Multi lingual search to Commons. In the example you search for a "kamsalamander" in

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Giving Commons a bigger public

2020-05-29 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I have been playing with the tool for some time and it is already great; it works and it is a great basis to expand on. Expand its functionality and data quality. I added a label in Urdu in Wikidata for "Mujaddid Ahmad Ijaz" and once the synchronisation was done, I found a wealth of pictures

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Giving Commons a bigger public

2020-05-24 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I have been a professional developer for much of my working life. From what I know of what Hay has done, I know you are wrong depending on the approach taken. Building this functionality can be an iterative process, it does not need to be all singing all dancing from the start. At one time

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Giving Commons a bigger public

2020-05-24 Thread Gerard Meijssen
when it's ready". Which is > fair, they are doing their job. > I can't change that yet. I don't know how my attitude can change it. I > still think that this relies on the attitude of the bulk of users that even > now are not interested in dealing with such long-term issues of Commons

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Giving Commons a bigger public

2020-05-24 Thread Gerard Meijssen
it that you can click on to search depicts statements for that > category’s topic without having to look up the QID first. > > Thanks, > Mike > > > On 24 May 2020, at 10:30, Gerard Meijssen > wrote: > > > > Hoi, > > Two more localisations became available, one f

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Giving Commons a bigger public

2020-05-24 Thread Gerard Meijssen
an example). Thanks, GerardM On Sun, 24 May 2020 at 07:33, Gerard Meijssen wrote: > Hoi, > Florence I totally agree that proper internatonalisation, localisation is > key. What is key for me is that this already provides an easy and obvious > search function for mediafiles that hav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Giving Commons a bigger public

2020-05-23 Thread Gerard Meijssen
kimedia.org/wiki/Category:Hay%27s_SDSEARCH On Sun, 24 May 2020 at 01:21, Florence Devouard wrote: > > Le 24/05/2020 à 00:23, Erik Moeller a écrit : > > On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 10:10 AM Gerard Meijssen > > wrote: > > > >> Hay Kranen created a proof of concept wher

[Wikimedia-l] Giving Commons a bigger public

2020-05-22 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Hay Kranen created a proof of concept where Commons is searched for pictures that (per standard) use a "depicts" statement.. The search is limited to existing labels in Wikidata and to the search has as its result whatever is available in commons.. Use for instance "appelmoes" and you get

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons

2020-05-18 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Dear Ziko, your proposal is business as usual. The biggest question we should ask is not what do we do but WHY do we do it. When we decide that Open Content is there to be used, it follows that it is a key performance indicator to know to what extend we serve a public and what public we have,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons

2020-05-17 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Just consider this, there are still many pictures in the English Wikipedia that could be in Commons because of its license and regularly there are pictures in Commons that are deleted because there license is not compatible with Commons. At Commons a revolution is taking place because the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Annoying ads

2020-05-05 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, To me this is similar to the argument why we do not really raise funds in some countries that "are poor". Some people are poor, certainly, but many others are not. The argument that we can afford has a relation to our aspirations, ambitions what can we do better, more particularly in the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Brand Project: Who are we as a movement?

2020-04-15 Thread Gerard Meijssen
. > > And maybe there's a good reason to listen to the people who literally built > the thing, made it into what it is, and still day to day keep it going. > Maybe we know what we're doing. I think we rather proved it. > > Todd > > On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 2:00 PM Gerard Meijssen

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Brand Project: Who are we as a movement?

2020-04-15 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, When I read something like this, it takes me aback. Yes, people may have an opinion, they may even express it and they even may be wrong. Who cares really. There is enough to dislike in branding, we are not cattle. From a marketing perspective there may be a point. The point would be to bring

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Brand Project: Who are we as a movement?

2020-03-25 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, The fact that it is considered major enough to address how Snøhetta became blocked on English Wikipedia is ok. What is also does is confirm the bias towards English Wikipedia. I am pretty sure that in the briefing of Snøhetta personnel it was NOT mentioned that other projects may have

[Wikimedia-l] The Corona dead

2020-03-22 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Obviously with a pandemic people die including notable people. As I am used to do, I have a query, a Listeria list that will update the latest information based on what we know in Wikidata. Given that it is not restricted to any one Wikipedia, we will know the notable dead from any and all

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Brand Project: Who are we as a movement?

2020-03-15 Thread Gerard Meijssen
cope for > > confusion, there is less likely for confusion to occur when you are > > sufficiently specific when referring to the ambiguous entities. > > Cheers, > > Peter > > > > -Original Message- > > From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wiki

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Brand Project: Who are we as a movement?

2020-03-15 Thread Gerard Meijssen
---Original Message- > From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On > Behalf Of Gerard Meijssen > Sent: 15 March 2020 08:37 > To: Wikimedia Mailing List > Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Brand Project: Who are we as a movement? > > Hoi, > By making the p

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Brand Project: Who are we as a movement?

2020-03-15 Thread Gerard Meijssen
age- > From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On > Behalf Of Gerard Meijssen > Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 2:12 PM > To: Wikimedia Mailing List > Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Brand Project: Who are we as a movement? > > Hoi, > Essie, the w

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Brand Project: Who are we as a movement?

2020-03-14 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Essie, the work done by Snøhetta centres on the notion of Wikipedia as a unifying brand. The problem is that Wikipedia on its own is 300 projects and that for many, if not most people English Wikipedia *is *Wikipedia. When we are all to be Wikipedia we will all suffer from the bias that

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why renaming to Wikipedia will wreak havoc on other projects

2020-02-28 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Benjamin is it fair to expect that you are a Wikipedian first and a Wikimedian second? The problem with perception is that it differs from where you stand. One of the easiest things to solve on all the Wikipedias are false friends but hey I stand with data and the Wikipedia perception is that

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why renaming to Wikipedia will wreak havoc on other projects

2020-02-26 Thread Gerard Meijssen
, Gerard On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 at 09:39, Gnangarra wrote: > Scope is a Commons community decision, > OTRS is solely about licensing > > On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 at 15:30, Gerard Meijssen > wrote: > > > Hoi, > > No it is an administrative process. It follows its own rules IN

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why renaming to Wikipedia will wreak havoc on other projects

2020-02-25 Thread Gerard Meijssen
it took place, it protects all parties should there be an issue in > the future in particular the WMF and our volunteers who were involved in > the process. > > On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 at 13:57, Gerard Meijssen > wrote: > > > Hoi, > > Thank you for demonstrating the extend O

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why renaming to Wikipedia will wreak havoc on other projects

2020-02-25 Thread Gerard Meijssen
t; > None of this relies in any way on the specific definition of ‘notable’ as > > used on the Wikipedias; that’s simply not relevant. > > > > The problem here seems to be an additional hurdle that has apparently > been > > added to the guidance given to OTRS volunteers. O

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why renaming to Wikipedia will wreak havoc on otherprojects

2020-02-25 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, For me there is no difference. When Commons OTRS is not behaving as is to be expected, they provide a serious disservice to our movement and yes, it may be volunteering but that is not a reason to accept what is not acceptable. What will be done to remedy this predicament? Thanks,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why renaming to Wikipedia will wreak havoc on other projects

2020-02-25 Thread Gerard Meijssen
oving categorization is > probably more focused on chasing users than actually cleaning up. As soon > as you assume that this is the core source of the behavior, you can teach > newbies quite well how to avoid it. It's not "good faith" but... it kinda > works. > Alessandr

[Wikimedia-l] Why renaming to Wikipedia will wreak havoc on other projects

2020-02-25 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Apparantly at Commons they have standardised themselves to only support Wikipedia. At Wikidata we have people who are notable according to our standards. We are actively asking them for images to illustrate our information. The best suggestion we get is: do not ask for images because they

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Next steps on Wikimedia Space

2020-02-21 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, There are too many places where all kinds of conversations are held. Everyone expects that others make use of their preferred platform. I can use wikis and I am not able to cover all the Wikis where all kinds of conversations are held that may be or may not be of interest to me. As chaos

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Snøhetta and Wikimedia

2020-02-02 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I totally agree that it is about community.. There are some 200 Wikipedia communities, there is Commons, Wikisource and the community I am most involved in Wikidata. What ties it together is the organisation of it all. THAT is Wikimedia for me, both the org and the movement. Thanks,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community survey: Wikimedia Diversity Conference 2020

2020-01-23 Thread Gerard Meijssen
ilable knowledge in certain > geographical contexts, etc. > > Thanks for asking. > Best, > Marc > ᐧ > > Missatge de Gerard Meijssen del dia dc., 22 de > gen. 2020 a les 8:01: > > > Hoi, > > Ah yes, I can read. > > > > In my mind when confer

  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   >