On Feb 24, 2009, at 7:12 AM, John Bass wrote:

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Henry E Schaffer <h...@unity.ncsu.edu>wrote:

John writes:
Given Alan's assessment below, there appears to be an impasse without
changing the project name.

 What impasse?

The impasse (possibly a poor word choice) is formed by an intersection of
the following:
- Matt's assessment is ncsu established the name vcl as a label for a
production service at ncsu and changing the name of the production service
does not break this association.
- One necessary condition leading to graduation requires that voting members determine that project naming is independent of any institution/ company and
'belongs' to the community.
- We want to name the asf project 'vcl' and change the name of the ncsu
production service.

I'm a little confused about the voting process, but it seems that we don't get to vote for our own graduation. Given that, it appears we need to do what Matt/Alan say since they vote and we want the project to graduate.

I am constantly being reminded by my wife and her mother that the world does not revolve around me and this is no exception. :)

I can easily be outvoted by the other Incubator PMC members but it is my personal belief that I will not. We would never allow corporate entities to retain such a connection regardless of how many disclaimers are sprinkled on their web site and I don't see how an educational institution would be any different.

Regards,
Alan