On Mar 6, 2009, at 6:04 AM, Josh Thompson wrote:

On Thu March 5 2009 4:55:01 pm Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
On Mar 3, 2009, at 12:42 PM, sam averitt wrote:
Question: Suppose the project name became CloudMaker. Would it not be permissible to call the NC State cloud, NCSU CloudMaker or NC State's
CloudMaker?

That would not be possible.  Maybe one way to make it more clear is
assume that NCSU is IBM and we are Amazon.  Does this statement sound
permissible:

Would it be permissible to call the IBM cloud, IBM Electronic
Computing Cloud or IBM's Electronic Computing Cloud?

That would definitely not fly for either parties and, so, would not
work here.

So what you are saying is that it doesn't matter what the name,
either formal or common, AFS rules require a different name?

Correct, our project name has to be different.

This is the message I keep hearing (and by "hearing", I mean it is how I am
interpreting what I read) that doesn't make any sense to me:

"There must be a name for the project at ASF that isn't used anywhere else in the world for any similar project, and anyone who downloads and installs said
project isn't allowed to use the ASF name in any way."

That doesn't make sense to me because t's a normal business model to produce software that is to be sold and used by other people /without/ changing the name of the software, in fact, it would generally be considered wrong to
change the name.  An example similar to ours that I can think of is
Blackboard software used for online courses. www.blackboard.com is the site
for the company that develops it.  If you do a google search
for "allinurl:blackboard" you'll find many sites that have Blackboard
installed and actually use "blackboard" in the URL.

You are missing the point. I am not advocating changing the name just for the sake of changing the name. There is a conflict in naming between NCSU VCL and this project. It's that simple.

I will repeat myself again here. NCSU VCL and its developers have a lot to be proud of. It's only natural that both, NCSU VCL and its developers at ASF VCL, would want to keep their association with the brand. That brand is only strengthened as departments from other universities join in and have their initiatives participate in the VCL brand. Unfortunately the ASF must remain independent this branding effort.

We are not a business. We are an independent, non-profit, software foundation and we must remain free from such entanglements.

Regards,
Alan

Josh

Among other
more recent names we considered was VCloud -- Virtual Cloud as in
cloud of
clouds. Would VCloud be an acceptable ASF name?

VCloud might be fine.  Anything other than VCL.  However, once it's
understood that the name has to change, it's the ASF community that
gets to decide on the new name.

Regards,
Alan

Sam