On Thu March 5 2009 4:55:01 pm Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2009, at 12:42 PM, sam averitt wrote:
> > Question: Suppose the project name became CloudMaker.  Would it not be
> > permissible to call the NC State cloud, NCSU CloudMaker or NC State's
> > CloudMaker?
>
> That would not be possible.  Maybe one way to make it more clear is
> assume that NCSU is IBM and we are Amazon.  Does this statement sound
> permissible:
>
> Would it be permissible to call the IBM cloud, IBM Electronic
> Computing Cloud or IBM's Electronic Computing Cloud?
>
> That would definitely not fly for either parties and, so, would not
> work here.
>
> > So what you are saying is that it doesn't matter what the name,
> > either formal or common, AFS rules require a different name?
>
> Correct, our project name has to be different.

This is the message I keep hearing (and by "hearing", I mean it is how I am
interpreting what I read) that doesn't make any sense to me:

"There must be a name for the project at ASF that isn't used anywhere else in
the world for any similar project, and anyone who downloads and installs said
project isn't allowed to use the ASF name in any way."

That doesn't make sense to me because t's a normal business model to produce
software that is to be sold and used by other people /without/ changing the
name of the software, in fact, it would generally be considered wrong to
change the name.  An example similar to ours that I can think of is
Blackboard software used for online courses.  www.blackboard.com is the site
for the company that develops it.  If you do a google search
for "allinurl:blackboard" you'll find many sites that have Blackboard
installed and actually use "blackboard" in the URL.

Josh

my GPG/PGP key can be found at www.keyserver.net