Gerard, this isn't about "holiday destinations", it's about human rights and dignity. That's why I emphasized in my original post that I'm concerned not only about the safety of conference attendees, but also about those living in the host country. The choice of a venue in a location with a poor human rights record reflects poorly upon Wikipedia/Wikimedia and our mission to share knowledge. There's a reason a number of major companies pulled their events and funding out of North Carolina after the restrictive restroom laws were passed for example...

- Pax