JM and Fitness63,

Mu or emptiness or void or tao is not quite nothingness in the ordinary sense. What it really is the absence of actuality, but it contains all possibility. Think of it in a cosmological sense. How could the universe have appeared out of nothingness? That could happen only if the substance of that nothingness was not really nothing, but only the absence of actuality. It would have to contain what one might refer to as the quantum probabilities for everything that could exist. It is an old idea of Tao as nothingness in itself, but out of Tao can appear any set of opposites. If you add back the opposites again they cancel into nothingness again. But an infinitely fertile nothingness. What keeps all the opposites in the universe in existence (temporarily for the life of the universe) is that the opposites are separated from each other by dimensional time and space. If they were all in the same place at the same time they would again cancel into the nothingness of formless OE or Tao. Think of the original nothingness of the universe as a perfectly still liquid- like bubble floating in gravity free empty space. Now imagine that sphere filled with interacting frictionless ripples. Those various ripple forms are the things of the world in the original sea of OE or Tao. Those ripples keep interacting endlessly on their own and what you think of as 'self' is one of those ripples.

In a more day to day sense of direct experience the idea of Mu is that everything we experience as real is simply form, it has no actual substance of its own that makes it what it is, it has only a form and that form is simply a ripple in the one substance of OE or Tao. This of course includes 'us' as well. So Zen's 'seeing into the nature of things' means directly experiencing everything as forms in the single substance of OE or Tao.

Edgar