From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jue Miao
Jing Ming - ????
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 1:25 AM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Zen] Character Building

Edgar,  Thank you for the confirmation.  I have to leave now.  Will address
this issue deeper when I have more time.  It is most important.  In short Zen
may have lost a major part of Chan in Japan.  JM.

Edgar Owen wrote:
Donald,

I don't think Zen pays much attention to karma. Zen certainly doesn't accept
reincarnation which is how karma is typically transmitted according to
traditional Buddhist thought. Zen is more about dealing with the present
however it may appear. Nor does Zen posit any after death states such as
nirvana or supernatural Buddha realms (though in early Chan there are passing
references to such when discussing earlier texts). Zen is all about the here
now, there is zero supernatural element to Zen.

Zen does accept that right action facilitates enlightenment in this lifetime
though.

Edgar