Well Al, It is not important how Zen is the same or not to Chan, because
these are mental comparisons in the realm of forms, form of words,
though in Chinese and Japanese writing they are identical, because after
all Zen is from Chan.

Whatever the incident, whether watching a tree or eating an apple,
always try to connect to the Chi of it, instead of describing,
comparing, labeling with one's mind.   Whatever we do, instead of being
affected by the impermanent form, try to connect to the permanent but
always changing Chi.  That is all.

If you discover that you are confused, then perhaps you are thinking.
Drop the thinking, trust your heart, the original Divine.

The world is One, meaning complete and whole and always providing.
There is no need to be defeated by labels, they are human creations.
JM