From: cid830> We can only follow their teachings if we choose to accept
them, regardless of whether or not they actually taught them at all. >

What we are talking about is the proverbial LEAP OF FAITH that is required
for any belief system, and thus zen, like any other religion or philosophy
requires that the adherent BELIEVE in what may very well be total fiction.

So is Maya the illusion, or is the actual illusion that enlightenment that
so many strive to achieve and which cannot be objectively measured. After
all, when a Roshi says that he is enlightened, all we have is his word on
it, and the word of his peers. Can you measure or otherwise prove
enlightenment? Is enlightenment itself not an Illusion (Maya)?