Al,

Everthing you know and feel is based on belief and faith.  Even
science is based on the belief in cause and effect and faith in our
rational capabilities.  The belief in enlightenment and the faith
that you can achieve it is what gets you started in zen.  It's like
dangling a carrot in front of a horse, or more accurately a picture
of a carrot.

The concept of enlightenment is indeed an illusion as is testified to
over and over again in zen literature.

The only thing that is not an illusion is Only THIS (Buddha Nature),
but the only way you can really know that is to experience it.

And to do that all you need to do is sit (zazen) and allow your
concept of self to melt away.

...Bill!

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Fitness63" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: cid830> We can only follow their teachings if we choose to
accept
> them, regardless of whether or not they actually taught them at
all. >

> What we are talking about is the proverbial LEAP OF FAITH that is
required
> for any belief system, and thus zen, like any other religion or
philosophy
> requires that the adherent BELIEVE in what may very well be total
fiction.

> So is Maya the illusion, or is the actual illusion that
enlightenment that
> so many strive to achieve and which cannot be objectively measured.
After