  From: Bill Smart
  To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 1:38 PM
  Subject: [Zen] Re: Antwort: JUDO

  JMJM,

  For some reason when I try to REPLY to your postings using the website
  the text isn't copied into the REPLY space. I think that is because
  you are using HTML to write your postings and not text. Anyway, I've
  reproduced your posting below and my response follows:

  JMJM wrote:
  >Hi Bill,
  >Thank you for your "thoughtful" reply. My question is not on this
  >Buddha Nature level, but more on a everyday term. For instance,
  >any witness to your health? Younger looking? Any awareness to your
  >ego?  Any relationship improvements? Spiritual well being such as
  >happier, etc. JM

  That's a hard question to answer. I don't know how I would have turned
  out if I hadn't got involved in zen, so I don't know what attributes I
  now have that I could attribute to zen. But, I'll take a guess. I'll
  list some of my current attributes that I notice are somewhat different
  than the majority of other people, and that I have a hunch have
  something to due to my zen practice:

  - I enjoy good health for my age (62). I am overweight, but remain
  fairly active. People guess my age at mid-40's.
  - I am usually very calm and thoughtful. Not much rattles me. I am
  aware when my ego starts acting up (like anger, desires, disapointment,
  etc...) When it does I am usually able to immediately 'step back' and
  deal with the situation as a disinterested 3rd party.
  - I have always enoyed good relationships with family, friends, working
  companions and my spouse. A lot of people consider me a very good or
  even best friend that I don't consider especially good friends of
  mine. Many people come to me for advice. My first marraige lasted 20
  years and ended amicably. I lived alone (as a bachelor) for about 10
  years. My second and current marraige is 5 years old and is a strong
  and loving relationship.

  I dont think I have any spirituality. I don't need anything more than
  I get from shikantaza (zazen - clear mind) to bring me contentment.
  Sometimes I am very happy and sometimes I am sad, but that all occurs
  in front of a background of contentment.

  I am a Capricorn. My favorite color is blue and my lucky number is
  3. ... Just kidding ;>)...

  But...as to what all parts of that self-profile above are attributible
  to zen - I really don't know.