Mike, I understand what you are saying below, and even support your sentiments, but I worry that an emphasis on understanding just how meditation affects your body might take someone in the wrong direction, or at least down a useless side road in which they could get entirely lost.
As you know I already believe zen is the art of living, and have long since jettisoned the religious mumbo-jumbo, including Buddhism. I don't want to replace that with 'scientific mumbo-jumbo'. To me there is not any difference. Bill! From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of mike brown Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:23 AM To: [email protected] Subject: Re: [Zen] Questions, questions, question ED, Bill, Mayka et al, If I can just jump in here. There is scientific data to suggest that the brain has a kind of plasticity and so can be neurologically changed according to how it is used. I think this is should hold a huge interest for those of us interested in zen/meditation. Learning to pay attention to the moment and letting go of negative thoughts can be seen as a 'skill' just like learning a language or playing the piano. If one incorporates sitting into their daily lives it'd be possible to change the physiology of the brain to better respond to internal/external stimuli with happier results. Zen, as an art of living, could then jettison all the religious mumbo-jumbo that it's wrapped up in now. Mike __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5546 (20101019) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5546 (20101019) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com ------------------------------------ Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: [email protected] [email protected] <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [email protected] <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
