Mike,

Not only one way.  Different strokes for different folk.

--ED

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, mike brown <uerusub...@...> wrote:

> Bill!,
>
> The thing for me though, is that Zen is (or can be) too cloaked in
arcane and
> esoteric language placing it on the borders of religious/spiritual
thinking -
> something it definitely is *not*. A basic scientific understanding of
the
> process of meditation and what physiologically happens to the brain as
a result
> of zazen grounds a person much more than faith will do.
>
> Mike

> Mike,
>
> I understand what you are saying below, and even support your
sentiments,
> but I worry that an emphasis on understanding just how meditation
affects
> your body might take someone in the wrong direction, or at least down
> useless side road in which they could get entirely lost.

No "emphasis", just knowing the truth, rather than floudering in a sea
of 'faith', illusions and delusions.

> As you know I already believe zen is the ‘art of
living’, and have long
> since jettisoned the ‘religious mumbo-jumbo’, including
Buddhism. I don't
> want to replace that with 'scientific mumbo-jumbo'. To me there is not
any
> difference.
>
> Bill!

IMHO, 'scientific mumbo-jumbo' is *your* illusion/delusion.

Zen, being a natural phenomenon, is quite amenable to observation,
meaurement and logical scrutiny - like all natural phenomena are.

The degree of  "emphasis" on this scientific inquiry is an indivudual's
choice - the one that works best for the temperament of the individual.

Surely, you are not frozen in the stance of "only one way"?

--ED