[Max M]
> Well, yeah. I installed cygwin and all the devolpment tools. About 800
> Megs. I could have sorted it, but I wouldn't risk missing libraries,
> tools etc. and harddisk is cheap.

Same here (although my old laptop doesn't have enough disk space remaining
to download the whole thing).

> Python compiled fine, both with and without "./configure
> --with-threads" Z3 also compiled without a hickup.

Python 2.3.3 comes with current Cygwin, so there shouldn't be a need to
build Python (or maybe there is?  I don't know; the one that comes with
Cygwin has threads enabled already:

$ python
Python 2.3.3 (#1, Dec 30 2003, 08:29:25)
[GCC 3.3.1 (cygming special)] on cygwin
>>> import thread
>>> def f():
...    print 'hi!'
>>> thread.start_new_thread(f, ())
>>> hi!

I didn't have any problems compiling anything, I hit instant disasters
whenever code tried to spawn a new process ("mystery errors" under WinXP
Pro, segfault and system freeze under Win98SE).

> But when I tried to go to "http://localhost:8080"; or
> "http://localhost:8080/manage"; I just got a  "A system error
> occurred." message, and a the following log entry:
> 2004-04-22T08:47:13 ERROR root PageTemplateFile: Error in template:
> Compilation failed
> exceptions.SyntaxError: invalid syntax (<string>, line 1)
> Which is sort of non-helpfull.

Sorry, no clues here.  Perhaps someone else knows how to get Cygwin to work.

>> What exactly is needed?  I routinely compile Zope2 and Zope3 HEAD on
>> Windows, using MSVC 6.  I can't make time to set up a fancy snapshot
>> procedure, but if all people want is (e.g.) a zip file containing
>> the .pyd files, uploading those once a week wouldn't be a
>> significant time sink.

> AS far as I can see that should be enough. If the compiled files, in
> their directory structure, could just be dropped on top of the python
> structure from cvs/subversion I expect that would be enough?

No way to tell without trying.  I don't know whether you're building Zope2
or Zope3, but since this is the zope-dev list I assume the former.  Try

and let us know what happens!  As the comment there says, it's just ".pyd
files from Zope2 HEAD, compiled with MSVC 6".  This is from an inplace
("setup.py build_ext -i") build on Windows, from a current Zope HEAD

> As far as I can see from a quick manual scan of the directory
> structure that's how the code is structured now?
> The compiled files are not under version control, and so would not be
> overwritten by updating from cvs/subversion.

That's correct.