Roger Ineichen wrote:
Hi Benji

Betreff: Re: [Zope3-dev] Why do we restrict our egg testing?

Roger Ineichen wrote:
Can anybody tell me why we restrict our test setup in zope eggs and only use a subset of package for our test setup?
I don't know what you're asking, so I can't tell you why it is <wink>.

I mean, we don't use all zope packages in our test dependency
if we develop eggs. What was the reason to use a subset of
of zope packages for egg testing?
e.g.
extras_require = dict(
        test = [
            'zope.testbrowser',
            'zope.app.securitypolicy',
            'some more zope.* packages but why not all zope.*'
            ],
        ),

Two things. extras are bad, and shouldn't be used, put test dependencies in the "real" dependencies.

Second, why would you include all of the zope.* eggs if that particular package doesn't depend on them?

Is there a benefit to not depend on all zope.* packages
in each egg test setup if we do a transition to indvidual
packages?

I understand the benefit to have smaller dependencies
in eggs, but I still think a egg should run all tests
we have in the zope namespace. Like we did in our old
trunk setup.

This whould allow us to run all zope.* tests
during egg development.

It sounds like it would build the equivalent of the old-style Zope 3 trunk for each and every zope.* buildout. That sounds awful. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your proposal.
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer