On 14 February 2011 20:46, John Mikes <jami...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I asked several times: "what are numbers?" without getting a reasonable
> reply.
> Sometimes I really like 1Z's twists.

That may be, but I would also like to see if we can get things
untwisted.  I'm not peddling any theory of my own here, I'm just
trying to do some simple accounting.  For example according to some
theory "X doesn't exist" and then somewhere else in the same theory
something supposedly depends on "assuming X".  This doesn't add up.
Part of the problem - most of it, perhaps - is
psychological-linguistic.  Being dead wrong about some theory of the
mind (fortunately) doesn't stop our minds from functioning.  But that
very same fact can blind us to circular reasoning.

I've tried to argue before that the "causal closure of physics" is a
very strong claim that is also very restrictive if applied
consistently.  Trouble is, in my view, it very rarely is so applied.
The Hard Problem, and the corresponding zombie intuition, is a sort of
reductio of the strongest version of this claim - i.e. that what
"exists" is reducible to a micro-physical substrate that is fully
constitutive of all phenomena of whatever type. If this proposition
were ever to be taken at face value, then further theorising would
perforce just stop right there; indeed there can be no "theories" in
such a scenario, just the sub-atomic events that might have been said
(but by whom?) to underlie them.   Of course this hardly reflects our
experience (how could it?).  We do not discover ourselves to be in
some maximally fragmented state (what could it be "like"?) but rather
in some integrated state of an altogether higher order; but such
quotidian reality apparently impresses us so little that we are quite
capable of theorising it cheerfully out of existence (e.g. eliminative
materialism).  Well, as Groucho Marx once innocently enquired "who you
gonna believe - me or your own eyes?".

David