Thanks Jason. A very nice post which reminds me that the comp's consequence are not that original.

Bruno

On 06 Jul 2011, at 06:23, Jason Resch wrote:

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 2:31 PM, B Soroud <bsor...@gmail.com> wrote:
lol, you still believe in the dream of God = truth/reality.

Truth/Reality?

nice one!

What is wrong with equating all of truth and all of reality with God? The existence of the whole of that which exists is indisputable (by definition), so calling it God is a matter of taste, one which many religions seem to agree with:

The supreme God Brahman is defined as: "the eternal, unchanging, infinite, immanent, and transcendent reality which is the Divine Ground of all matter, energy, time, space, being, and everything beyond in this Universe."

"Among Hindu sects, Advaita Vedanta espouses monism. The closest interpretation of the term can be found in the Taittiriya Upanishad (II.1) where Brahman is described as satyam jnanam anantam brahman ("Brahman is of the nature of truth, knowledge and infinity"). Thus, Brahman is the origin and end of all things, material or otherwise. Brahman is the root source and Divine Ground of everything that exists, and is the only thing that exists according to Shankara. It is defined as unknowable and Satchitananda ("Truth-Consciousness- Bliss"). Since it is eternal and infinite, it comprises the only truth. The goal of Vedanta is to realize that the soul (Atman) is actually nothing but Brahman. The Hindu pantheon of gods is said, in the Vedas and Upanishads, to be only higher manifestations of Brahman. For this reason, "ekam sat" ("Truth is one"), and all is Brahman. "

From the Brahma Samhita:
"I worship Govinda, the primeval Lord, whose effulgence is the source of the nondifferentiated Brahman mentioned in the Upanishads, being differentiated from the infinity of glories of the mundane universe appears as the indivisible, infinite, limitless, truth."

Regardinga Maya: "In most of Hinduism and Transcendentalism, all matter is believed to be an illusion called Maya, blinding us from knowing the truth. Maya is the limited, purely physical and mental reality in which our everyday consciousness has become entangled. Maya gets destroyed for a person when they perceive Brahman with transcendental knowledge."

"The concept of Brahman as the single formless transcendent 'being of absolute existence' that is the origin and support of the phenomenal universe, is nearly identical to that of YHWH, the concept of 'God' in Judaism. The term YHWH comes from the Semitic root הוה 'howa', to exist, and is connected with something that is self-sustaining or self-existent, is the cause of all existence, and the totality of the phenomenal universe that brings everything into being."

Among the 99 names of God in Islam:
Al-Wāsi' The Vast, The All-Embracing, The Omnipresent, The Boundless
Al-Ḥaqq     The Truth, The Real
Al-Wāḥid     The One, The Unique
Al-'Aḥad     The Unity, The Indivisible
Aṣ-Ṣamad     The Eternal, The Absolute, The Self-Sufficient
Al-Bāqīy     The Immutable, The Infinite, The Everlasting

Some of the names of Krishna:
Achala - Still Lord
Parabrahmana - The Supreme Absolute Truth
Sanatana - The Eternal Lord
Sarvajana - Omniscient Lord

The root Mantra of the Sikh religion begins: "there is one creator, whose name is truth..."

In Buddhism: Samantabhadra Buddha declares of itself:
"I am the core of all that exists. I am the seed of all that exists. I am the cause of all that exists. I am the trunk of all that exists. I am the foundation of all that exists. I am the root of existence. I am "the core" because I contain all phenomena. I am "the seed" because I give birth to everything. I am "the cause" because all comes from me. I am "the trunk" because the ramifications of every event sprout from me. I am "the foundation" because all abides in me. I am called "the root" because I am everything."

Quotes:

"Geometry existed before the creation, it is co-eternal with the mind of God, Geometry provided god with a model for creation, Geometry is God himself." -- Kepler

"To all of us who hold the Christian belief that God is truth, anything that is true is a fact about God, and mathematics is a branch of theology." -- Hilda Phoebe Hudson

"The laws of nature are but the mathematical thoughts of God." -- Euclid

"I would say with those who say ‘God is Love’, God is Love. But deep down in me I used to say that though God may be Love, God is Truth above all. If it is possible for the human tongue to give the fullest description of God, I have come to the conclusion that God is Truth. Two years ago I went a step further and said that Truth is God. You will see the fine distinction between the two statements, ‘God is Truth’ and ‘Truth is God’. I came to that conclusion after a continuous and relentless search after truth which began fifty years ago. I then found that the nearest approach to truth was through love. But I also found that love has many meanings in the English language and that human love in the sense of passion could become a degrading thing. I found too that love in the sense of ahimsa [nonviolence, roughly] had only a limited number of votaries in the world. But I never found a double meaning in connection with truth and even atheists had not demurred to the necessity of power of truth. But in their passion for discovering truth, atheists have not hesitated to deny the very existence of God – from their point of view rightly. It was because of this reasoning that I saw that rather than say that God is Truth, I should say that Truth is God. Add to this the great difficulty, that millions have taken the name of God and in His name committed nameless atrocities. Not that the scientists very often do not commit atrocities in the name of Truth. Then there is another thing in Hindu philosophy, namely, God alone is and nothing else exists, and the same truth you see emphasized and exemplified in the kalma of Islam. And there you find it clearly stated that God alone is, and nothing else exists. In fact, the Sanskrit word for truth is a word which literally means that which exists, sat. For these and many other reasons, I have come to the conclusion that the definition – Truth is God – gives me the greatest satisfaction. And when you want to find Truth as God, the only inevitable means is love, that is, non-violence, and since I believe that ultimately the means and ends are convertible terms, I should not hesitate to say that God is love." -- Gandhi

From the above, it should be clear that the idea that God = Truth = Reality, is hardly a new or strange idea.

Jason